CLI feedback: Mp3Tag under WinE


#1

Searching the mp3tag.exe forum for topics related to "Wine Linux", i was actually a bit surprised at the rather extensive amount of discussion on the topic. That said-- i don't consider this a /bug/ issue-- as Mp3Tag is developed for Windows, not WinE (unless i've missed something). I merely wanted to share a bit o' knowledge stuffs:

Here's what xterm kicked back, after launching, running successfully, and finally closing mp3tag under WinE 1.2.x (just updated today, however-- strange, from last night's install of WinE 1.3... weird, deb APT thing, i suppose... too much ADD here to act, rather than accept whatever that was all about... hell, sometimes apt claims i've got WinE 1, and WinE 1.2. i find that rather odd, but i digress [surprise!].

thc@detoobtop:~$ sudo wine "C:\\\\Program Files\\\\mp3tag\\\\mp3tag.exe"
wine: /home/thc/.wine is not owned by you
thc@detoobtop:~$ wine "C:\\\\Program Files\\\\mp3tag\\\\mp3tag.exe"
err:ole:marshal_object object doesn't expose interface {00000122-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}, failing with error 0x80004002
err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80004002
err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {00000122-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}, 80004002
fixme:msvcrt:_set_error_mode dummy implementation (old mode: 0, new mode: 2)
fixme:msvcrt:_set_error_mode dummy implementation (old mode: 2, new mode: 2)
fixme:msvcrt:_set_error_mode dummy implementation (old mode: 2, new mode: 2)
fixme:wincodecs:JpegDecoder_Frame_GetResolution (0x1fc6dc,0x32f3c8,0x32f3c0): stub
thc@detoobtop:~$

EDIT: Note, the reason for the "sudo" bit shown, but heretofore unmentioned: trying to get the "successful" meta updates to stick, for lack of a better term.
it occurred to me: maybe it's a wine user ownership; permissions issue, vs the NTFS volumes, etc. thought it worth a try. oddly, however, Mp3Tag is effective-- sometimes.

Most often, i find the meta hasn't really changed after mp3tag, for instance, queries MusicBrainz, subsequently "applying" found data for changes / update the meta... as if a simulate option were activated (i.e. [ -s ] )-- while, for example, changes to meta properties under Foobar2000 seem to function normally (i.e. effectively does alter meta data under WinE, under my thumb, under same user, wine "session"...)

for the record, i'm not in search of a /solution/ here-- unless there's a common-knowledge one-size-fits all way of /fixing/ this known "issue". Otherwise, i really just wanted to share the CLI feedback.

ASIDE: However, if the reader is privy to a best-practice method for handling WinE issues, here at mp3tag forum, i'm much obliged to do as is desired by the mods; Florian, et al.