I suggest that Mp3tag read Comment fields the same way iTunes does. I don't know exactly what iTunes does or how it does it, but the behavior of iTunes is that it reads and displays all comment tags in a file, while Mp3tag only seems to pick up some comments for mp3 and FLAC files.
I have tried every workaround I can think of and find in these forums, but I can't get Mp3tag to display comments in mp3 files that are appearing in iTunes.
for the mp3 version of my song:
- tried removing all non-ID3V2.3 tags
- tried blanking all comment fields
- tried removing all comment fields
- tried many ways of displaying comments
- tried many ways of reading, writing, and removing comments per the options
- tried finding the comments that Mp3tag could not find using a Hex reader - I'm no expert with Hex readers, I was shocked that even this failed to find what iTunes was finding and displaying! (looked for all TXXX frames, all COMM frames, even tried to search for the strings I was seeing in iTunes in the text section of the files)
- tried $meta_sep(comment,; ) in the column display
- tried clicking on "extended tags"
- tried all suggestions I found in Mp3tag forums related to comments
- I can successfully see and edit COMMENT ITUNNORM fields, but there are clearly other comment fileds in my files that I just can't see with Mp3tag that iTunes can find.
In terms of the file history, the file originated as a FLAC file that was converted by dBpoweramp to a mp3 file. Prior to conversion, the FLAC file has text in a Description field. As part of the conversion, I believe dBpoweramp is placing anything in a Description field into a Comment field (per Vorbis Comment mapping #3 default mapping, for those familair with dBpoweramp). I can see this Description tag in the FLAC file using the Hex reader, and I can see the Description field in the FLAC file in Mp3tag (tried displaying %description%).
All of the above failed to display in Mp3tag what was appearing in iTunes for my mp3 file. Even if there is a complicated workaround like deleting the Description field prior to conversion to mp3 (but I don't want to do this - I want to manipulate the information in this field when in mp3 format not just delete everything), I'd much rather have Mp3tag display all comments as a default just like iTunes.