Conversion to ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3)

Hey,

I edit some tags from time to time, so my general question is, if converting to or adding a newer ID3 version (i.e. ID3v2 to ID3v2.3) could cause any problems, basically pros and possible cons.

Also, it seems like ID3v2.4 is the latest ID3 version. Mp3tag seemingly comes with ID3V2.3?

Greetings VideoHomeSystem

There is no best tag version.
ID3V1 has a number of limitation in respect to size of tags (length and absolute space) in comparison to ID3V2.x tags. Also, V1 does not support embedded pictures. So if your player supports V2.3 tags, use those.
ID3V2.4 are not supported by every player, e.g. Windows 7 could not cope with them.
So all in all, right now ID3V2.3 tags have the best compatibility across OS and players and feature then much more flexibility than V1 tags.
But as said before: it all depends on your player.

2 Likes

Thanks, last question then. Mp3tag now adds ID3v1 and ID3v2.3 tags (I know I can change this). So adding a ID3v1 tag might be useful for some devices. But is it really necessary, regarding the prevalence of devices using ID3v1 and, for example, file size?

Greetings

File size keeping ID3v1 tags really shouldn't be that much different. But unless you have a specific need due to legacy software that doesn't support v2.3 or greater, there is no need.

Thanks! So, what would you recommend? Only ID3v2.3 or ID3v2 + ID3v2.3?

Really last question. What's the relation between file name (aaa.mp3) and ID3 tags? I can't find the file name anywhere saved within the ID3 tags, so I guess they are truly distinct (so that changing the file name wouldn't be relevant for any tag)?

Thank you

Using some recommendations from members on this forum, I just completed a master cleanup of my 120K+ library of .MP3 files. Part of that activity involved removing ID3v1.x from the files leaving ID3v2.3 and APEv2 behind.

I tried ID3v2.4 on a few albums and ran across issues whereby some audio players couldn't process some (or all) of the metadata (tag); most notably: iTunes and Windows 7/10 Media Player.

At the time of this reply, my MP3's contain the following metadata; note the image is JPG: 200x200x96dpi. I've been reading that .JPG's between 400x400 - 600x600 is recommended with the "sweet spot" being 448x448 for compatibility with O/S shell integration tools.

1 Like

There is no relation. The filename is a property managed by the OS with its own rules and restrictions. Actually, there are a number of characters that are fine in the tag data but invalid for filenames.
Yet, a number of people like to know what a file contains without the need to open the file with a program that can display the embedded metadata (tags) and therefore name the file so that the filename shows parts of the tag data.
It is also possible to write the filename to a tag field - I don't know what the benefit should be.

2 Likes

Coming from 4 decades of MP3 players, I can't "see" the need for the filename in the metadata either.

Some examples;

• iTunes (when options selected) adds files to its library on the filesystem, it renames the files on the fly - same goes if you inspect the iOS filesystem using tools such as iMazing/iExplorer
  • WMP adds (folder.jpg [200x200], albumartsmall.jpg [75x75)) and uses shortfile names (truncates) if the filename is over 255 characters in length
  • XBMC (for XBOX) had a filename limit of 42 characters (incl. extension)
  • KODI (for XBOX) adheres to XBOXONE restrictions for files on the filesystem

As my audio files reside on a NAS, I keep my filenames to 42 characters (folder names as well) and I ensure that the folder path (tree) remains under 255 characters total (incl. filename at the end).

The names of my physical files on the filesystem are comprised of the first 37 characters of the song title followed by the extension ("TITLE.###") - i.e. not "TRACK - ARTIST - TITLE.###".

In the tag panel there is a line saying "directory" (see image). I guess it's just informative and not saved to the ID3 tag?

@VHS:

Yes, that's just where the file is located on the filesystem.

Ok then. Thanks for your quick support everyone!

Not just.
It's the directory you last opened or added files from.

1 Like