Convert MP3 to 320kbps

Hello
I have searched the forum using the topic title without any result coming up yet I am sure that it is a pretty common task and question.

I am using Audacity to convert my music collection from 192kbps to 320kbs (it will take me for ever) where you open the MP3 file and then using the Export Audio facility you can change the quality to a 320kpbs and export to a new file.

The current fields that it picks up are limited to Artist Name, Track Title, Album Title, Track Number, Year , Genre and TXXX .

It does have an Edit Metadata where I presume you can new fields to match the ones in the file. Also there is Template facility which loads a Tags.xml but I have no idea of how to construct it (no example given in their online help for Exporting Audio) and then to accommodate the extended and user defined fields that I have added to the Tag Panel or the cover. I usually use the paste cover option from a copied image from one of the online tag sources.

Any help and assistance will be most welcome.

Or is there a simpler and more efficient way to do this?

Thank you in advance.

Before you invest any more effort in

It does not make any sense to re-encode a lossy format to an equally lossy format with a higher bitrate. The existing information from the original files cannot become any better only because you change the sample rate.
IMHO it is a waste of time and disc space.
In a picture it would look like this:

1 Like

This is as useless as if you would pin a sticker on your 192 PS car and tell him "you are now a 320 PS formula 1 race car".
It just does not work this way.

Excuse my ignorance and confusion but I am not sure I understand either of your comments.

Che resolutionary ohrenkino Guevara posted:
"The existing information from the original files cannot become any better only because you change the sample rate"

If there is no difference or improvement in quality, clarity and detail between a higher to a lower one why then are Youtube's audio files sampled at 320bp/s?

Downloading a 320bp/s file to replace a lower rated one would be pointless exercise then?

is not the same as

provided the original source (here: apparently youtube) has already been created with a sample rate of 320kbps.
It does not make sense to resave a file that has been created with a lower sample rate as file with a higher sample rate.
This would lead to a similar result as enlarging a small picture: you see all the missing pieces of information - but bigger.

So if you replace your 192kbps-files with other files that have a higher original samplerate then you get probably better files. If you go the way via Audacity, then it does not make sense.

Muchas gracias ohrenkino, right I am with you, you'll only exaggerate any flaws.and defects and as your image illustrates near total disfigurement.

That would be the way to go, still a bit fiddly and time consuming but hopefully for a better result. The problem still remains however on how to transfer the data from the 192kbps file to the new one as overwriting erases all the information.

Copy and pasting each field over one by one will be tedious, any ideas on a more comprehensive and effective approach?

Cheers and thanks again.

This is the part that is a wasted exercise...

The original source, whether ripping from CD or downloading from some other provider, is the best quality it can be. If you convert that to a lower rate to save space, that process throws away information that is no longer recoverable. Hence the term lossy. You cannot then convert back to a higher rate and get this detail back. The only way is to download a replacement or better version, or to rip again at a higher or even lossless rate.

Keep in mind that even redbook CD is essentially a lossy format. It is 16-bit depth and 44.1kHz sample rate derived from the original source material. You cannot simply choose to somehow recode this to say 24/192 or 32/768 and gain any benefit. But at least using a lossless formart ast this point means you don't lose anything compared to the original CD content. Better sources can have higher rates.

1 Like

Yes: you simply
select the source file
use "Copy tag" from the Edit menu or Ctrl-C
select the target file
use "Paste tag" form the Edit menu or Ctrl-V
this copies the whole tag data from source to the target file.
It even works with a group of files, provided source files and target files are in the same order.

See here for an example of how to copy/paste all tags for multiple files. This can easily be applied to entire folders, or Albums. As long as the track count and order match they will be maintained.

ohrenkino / MotleyG/ LyricsLover you've been most patient with your helpful and prompt replies, comments, explanations and sharing of your knowledge, it is much appreciated - compared to the lack of mine on the subject which must have been very evident.

As is posting on forums - I'll have to find out how to add selective posters' quotes to my replies.

Many thanks again and I am sure that it's not too late to wish you all, all the very best for year ahead.

No worries here. Hopefully this saves you from spending a lot of time xhasing something that didn't get you any benefit.

If you do have access to the original or better download source for these files, or can rip directly from CDs or othher media, this is the time to consider doing it in a lossless format. At least from there you can make as many copies or conversions as you want without sacrificing that original quality. Drive space is much cheaper today than it was 20+ years ago when I started my project.

In your answer, you can select the text you want to quote from the previous answers above and then click on "Quote":

This will automatically add the needed code around this text in your answer.
You can repeat this step for several different parts and several answers and several previous members.

Thank you, LyricsLover.

As a side note to the original question. I use https://www.freac.org/downloads-mainmenu-33 to convert files. I use it to make copies of my flac files to mp3 and put on my phone for my daily commute, what's the point listening to flac if you're on the tube? You can load it up with 1000's of what ever format you have and get it to create new files. Change many formats to one format and the tags are copied as well. This doesn't endorse the re-encoding, that is really a fools errand, like has been said before.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.