Copy file path of selected files; context menu

In Windows 10, a feature was added where you can select multiple files and copy the file path. It will be simple formatted in text, with one file per line. Something like:
"C:\Users\Me\Music\Song1.mp3"
"C:\Users\Me\Music\Song2.mp3"

I've used this feature a lot in Windows, and it comes really handy when you want to copy a list of files after searching for a certain filter.

Now; I'm trying to filter songs based on the language I've set as a tag. But Windows handles languages really poorly. You must assign the language according to ISO 639-3, and if it's recognised, it's displayed as ISO 639-2, and if not, it will default to your system language. Which is of course really bad.

I have to use Mp3tag to get the actual value from this field. But as it is 6000+ songs. It'll be a lot of work going through it manually. So I wished I could simply sort by language in Mp3tag; select all songs with the same language tag, and copy the file paths.

I've checked v2.98
There's an option to save the selected files to a playlist. I can then sort the list to filter out all the files (as they start with a drive letter). But this function does not handle Unicode characters, and messes up foreign titles. So that's a bug that has to be fixed. It does work as a substitute. But a direct copy of file path would make this so much easier.

You have to save the playlist as with the extension m3u8 to get utf-8 characters.

Create a column with the value %language% and sort by it.

That did solve that issue. Thanks!

That is not solving the issue, as you only gave an answer to step 1, which I already know how to do. The part I want solved is:

Set a filter to e.g.
language IS eng
Press Ctrl-A to select all
Then generate the playlist.

Yes, as said in my initial post, that is what I can do to get a list of the songs based on language. But it's so much extra work that I wish I didn't need to do.

• When saving a playlist, it defaults to the limited ASCII playlist.
  • It defaults to the location where one of the files was opened from, and doesn't remember where you last saved it even if you haven't opened any new song.
  • Then I have to open the playlist, sort out the file paths by sorting the text, then I have what I need.

So what I've been using is: Mp3tag, Explorer, Notepad, Excel
But with the "copy file path" option, all I need is: Mp3tag

I am still puzzled what you need the list of paths for.
MP3tag adds the language field
MP3tag filters for files with and without language field
MP3tag even creates a playlist for whatever purpose.
After we found out that the problem with the playlist character set is solved, the filtering works ok, what is the purpose of a list of paths?
Are you looking for a tool to open the explorer?
I don't understand the workflow.
Did you have a look at the export script functions?
Could it be that this would create a list as you require?

All I want to is to copy the list of file paths of all the selected files, just like how it works in Explorer.

It will save time from having to save playlists, then extract the paths from that.

What I want is the file paths.

A simple export script like this one:
$filename(filepaths.txt,txt)
$loop(%_filename%)%_path%
$loopend()
plus the function "Export ..." in the context menu should lead to the same result.
If you set the messages accordingly, you get an editor window in which you can copy the paths - or process the created text file further.

That solution does make it much easier, as it gives one file per line, and it also offer to open the file after export. But it does not work with Unicode characters. Any setting I'm missing?

But I'm still firm on the idea that all software that manage files should have an option to copy the file paths of the selected files.

Instead of the header
$filename(filepaths.txt,txt)
use
$filename(filepaths.txt,utf-8)

I still don't understand what you want with a longish list of filenames ...
And: do you need the list or do you need the particular feature?
If you need the feature then you know by now how to get a similar result so that you can bridge the time until the feature is implemented.

The feature was important enough for Windows to add it.
It's very useful when you need to reference multiple files.
I use it more than I thought I would. I use it to make a list of songs in a document.

Yes, I can use Mp3tag for that now that I know how. It's just not as easy as in Windows.

1 Like

I completely concur

I was stunned that Microsoft added such handy feature to their newest version of operating system by default. And I use it from time to time, speeding up my workflow

Same thing in Mp3tag would be nice to have

1 Like