Copy filename to tag title omits number

I have a number of classical works where the filename includes the track number at the beginning and the title is the filename without the track number. That means a MP3 player plays all tracks in alphabetical order - this completely ruins operas, symphonies, oratorios etc.
An example is:
Filename: 01-Sinfonia - Deh, nasconditi, o Virtu - Deh, sommergerti, malnata - Chi vi credete, o Dee.mp3
Title: Sinfonia - Deh, nasconditi, o Virtu - Deh, sommergerti, malnata - Chi vi credete, o Dee

I want the filename (without the mp3 extension) as the title so tracks play in the proper order.

The filename to tag conversion seems to ignore the initial track number whatever I do.

Help!

I've never seen a music player that plays files back in TITLE order unless the files are missing TRACKNUMBER fields. So before you place the track numbers into the titles, first try making sure they're in the correct tagging field.

You could use the auto-numbering wizard to number the tracks, or you could create an action group with the following:

Action type: Guess values
Source format: %_filename%
Guessing pattern: %track%-%title%

If the titles in the files are already as you like them, the following might be better, asn won't alter any existing TITLE fields:

Action type: Guess values
Source format: %_filename%
Guessing pattern: %track%-%dummy%