copy/paste all tags from a mp3 to an aac file

Hello,

I want to copy all ID3 and APE tags from mp3 to aac files. I have tried copy/paste, and it
will copy tags, but I seem to be able to only copy ID3 or APE tags to the aac file. I am presuming
there is an error in my configuration of mp3tag (I am enabling read/write/delete of both ID3 and
APE tags), so I could use some guidance on exactly how I need to configure mp3tag.

Thank you for the help!

Copy entire tag ID3v1 from MP3 to AAC

1. Set "Mp3tag/Options/Tags/Mpeg" to read ID3v1
    • Read
      • [x] ID3v1
      • [_] ID3v2
      • [_] APE
    • Write ...
    • Remove ...
  2. Set "Mp3tag/Options/Tags/Ape Mpc" to write ID3v1
    • Read
      • [x] ID3v1
      • [_] APE
    • Write
      • [x] ID3v1
      • [_] APEv2
    • Remove
      • [_] ID3v1
      • [_] ID3v2
      • [_] APE
  3. Refresh Mp3tag listview, press [F5].
  4. Select MP3 tracks, then press [CTRL+C].
  5. Select AAC tracks, then press [CTRL+V].
Copy entire tag APE from MP3 to AAC
  1. Set "Mp3tag/Options/Tags/Mpeg" to read APE
    • Read
      • [_] ID3v1
      • [_] ID3v2
      • [x] APE
    • Write ...
    • Remove ...
  2. Set "Mp3tag/Options/Tags/Ape Mpc" to write APE
    • Read
      • [_] ID3v1
      • [x] APE
    • Write
      • [_] ID3v1
      • [x] APEv2
    • Remove
      • [_] ID3v1
      • [_] ID3v2
      • [_] APE
  3. Refresh Mp3tag listview, press [F5].
  4. Select MP3 tracks, then press [CTRL+C].
  5. Select AAC tracks, then press [CTRL+V].
DD.20140427.0800.CEST

Thanks for responding. I just tried this, however, and what I am seeing is
that when I paste the APE tags to my aac file the ID3 tags (I have both v1
and v2 tags) are removed. My APE tags are removed when I write the
ID3 tags as well. I have verified that my options settings match what you suggest
below (i.e. the write & remove tags are unchecked as you specify). I am sure
I am doing something wrong, but I can't determine what. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks again.

As you can see in the Mp3tag options for AAC files, there is no option to write the ID3v2 tag-type.
I do not know whether the tag-type ID3v2 is allowed to be written into AAC media file or not.

I have repeated the test with tag-types ID3v1 and APE and got the wanted result, all tag-fields from ID3v1 and from APE have been copied from the MP3 files to the AAC files.
Do not forget to refresh the list view between the different steps.

As long as you do not remove any tag-type explicitly e. g. by [Ctrl+R], then there will be no tag-type removed.
Due to the settings in the Mp3tag options, it might be possible, that a tag-type is hidden, and it's content will not be displayed in the list view.
Be aware of the logical precedence of the tag-type APE and the Mp3tag priority system:
APE > ID3v2 > ID3v1.

If it is not already there, then setup a column in the list view ...
Name: TagRead (TagTypes)
Value: %_tag_read%[' ('%_tag%')']
... to see which tag-type is currently read and which tag-types are available in the media file.

DD.20140427.1706.CEST

Ok. I think I am understanding this better now. My aac files always list the tag type as MP4.
My aac files have MP4 tags in them. When I paste tags into my aac file it replaces all of the MP4
tags in my aac files. So, pasting the APE tags into the aac files will replace all MP4 tags.

If my understanding is correct, I think what I really need is a way to first copy my APE tags into
ID3 tags, followed by pasting all of my ID3 tags into MP4 tags in the aac files. Is this possible?
Are there alternatives?

As an FYI, what I am trying to do is get my MP3GAIN and REPLAYGAIN tags into the AAC file.

Thanks,

Chuck

Using Mp3tag for copying the entire content of a tag-type like APE into a MP4 container, this will replace the entire existing metadata content of the MP4 container with the new metadata content.

This is possible, but you will get the same result ...
using Mp3tag for copying the entire content of a tag-type like ID3v2.4 into a MP4 container, this will replace the entire existing metadata content of the MP4 container with the new metadata content.

What is the purpose of MP3GAIN tag-fields in the MP4 container file?
I doubt that MP3Gain can handle it's UNDO information, which is stored in a MP4 container file.

If it is the sole purpose of transmitting the ReplayGain data from existing media file MP3, read out of the tag-type APE, to new media file MP4, then it would be actually the easiest way to recalculate the ReplayGain data.
I do not think that there would be quick success if we have to walk the tricky path with Mp3tag.
Use the application "foobar2000" for the MP4 files, to calculate the ReplayGain data precisely and quickly.

DD.20140427.2005.CEST

I appreciate your continuing to help me understand this and come up with a potential solution.

Ok. So, it sounds like my understanding is correct regarding copy/paste behavior in mp3tag.

In terms of copying APE tags to ID3, I was not thinking of doing a copy/paste as I can see that would have the same result. What I'd like to do is be able to
do is write an action to individually copy the APE tags for replaygain and mp3gain into corresponding ID3 tags. Then, I'd paste all of the ID3 tags into the
AAC file.

The reason I want to do this is I know that mp3gain properly normalized my mp3 files, but my aac files are poorly normalized. I have run an experiment
where I copied the mp3gain & replaygain APE tags from the MP3 file to the aac file and the end result
was that the aac file is properly normalized.

You mentioned foobar2000. I am not sure it will help me because it will perform an analysis on the aac files, which are not normalized.
Let me know if I am missing your point.

When you refer to UNDO information for mp3gain, I presume you are referring to being able to undo
a normalization change. This is not important to me as I am happy with the current normalization levels in the mp3 files.

Forget it, it would be a hard task for you, and perhaps for me to guide you.

I suspect that in the last 4 hours your MP4 media library would have been entirely scanned by foobar2000 and all MP4 container files would have got their correct ReplayGain values.

DD.20140427.2144.CEST

When applying ReplayGain calculation to a media file, it is never needed, that the media file has been 'normalized' in any way!

In general, 'normalizing' a peace of music means to push the peak level of the music to the technical topmost level, without introducing distortion, this is self-evident.
'Normalizing' is counter productive to the ReplayGain leveling method.

When using ReplayGain in the 'Album Mode', then the differences in loudness between the tracks will be respected.
And this behaviour preserves the intention of the artist, when his/her work has been released to the public.
Quiet music should remain silent.
Loud titles should be loud, in relation to the quite titles, so there are noticeable dynamics.

When using ReplayGain in the 'Track Mode' or 'Radio Mode', each track will be played with equal loudness.

Where is the sense of 'normalizing' when using 'ReplayGain'?

Note:
Based on my personal audio evolution I understand "normalization" in the first line as "Peak normalization".
You are speaking of "Loudness normalization"?!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war#...in_broadcasting

DD.20140428.2207.CEST, DD.20140501.0805.CEST

Understood. My real goal (not articulated well previously) is to take low bit-rate mp3's
I have encoded over the years and upgrade them using iTunes Match to 256 kbps AAC files.
Although I chose poorly with the bitrate, I did normalize using mp3gain using album
normalization at 89 dB. The problem I am seeing in this upgrade is that the AAC files are not
normalized at all (either at the track or album level) as the sources come from a variety of places that
Apple has access to. My goal is to get these AAC tracks normalized to the Replaygain normalization
of my older low bitrate mp3's, which did incorporate album normalization. The desire is to adjust them so they
match the dB level of the older mp3s on a track-by-track basis. To really do this I need to get the replaygain
levels for the mp3 added to my AAC file so I can make the adjustment.

Your recommendation to look at foobar2000 was fantastic in this regard as it would create ID3 tags for the
replaygain levels which I could then use (mp3gain created APE tags only). The end result is that I
adjust the AAC files based on the difference between the AAC replaygain levels and the corresponding
mp3 file levels (copying the mp3 file tags to the AAC file first) and then apply that delta. So far, it has
worked well and the AAC dB levels have aligned with the mp3 levels that were previously created
using an album analysis.

Bottom line here is that I now have a process that I continue to verify empirically.

Thank you again for your help.

See Mp3Gain help file.
Mp3gain can write ID3v2 tag using the commandline switch "/s i".
https://www.google.de/search?q=site:forums....de+mp3gain+/s+i

Where do you get the belief that the "old" mp3 files have the same technical loudness as the "new" aac files?

Regarding my understanding of audio processing this act sounds rather worse and confused.

For my understanding it can not be right, that someone simply copies RG values ​​from one media file to the other media file.
For this to work properly, both media file's content must be identical copies on a per bit basis and must be encoded with the same version of the same codec.

However, the working basis for a clean ReplayGaining can only ever be the one and only current media file, to which the method is applied.

I did not technically verified this yet, but my current opinion is, that someone cannot simply interchange and apply ReplayGain number values between mp3 files and aac files, in order to hear both media files in the same loudness.

DD.20140501.0832.CEST