Create Batch Playlists Placed in Individual Folders

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a way to create playlists in batch mode and have the playlists placed in the individual album folders?

I separate my music in folders by genre, artist and album, for example

Blues\B B King\Album1
Blues\B B King\Album2
etc.

Rather than load ever album in MP3 Tag and create a playlist one at a time I would like to load the Blues folder and create a separate playlist for every album and have it placed on let's say Album1, Album2, etc.

I will greatly appreciate your response and I apologize if this has been asked before, I searched for playlist and did not find anything.

How to batch create playlists into subfolders

In Tools > Options > Playlist specify a playlist file name like %_folderpath%%_directory%.m3u
Also deselect [ ] Show confirm filename dialog

Then load the files and select only one of them.
Press Ctrl+Shift+P and hold down the Shift key for a few seconds (or as long the playlists are written).

I have tried this but is is only putting the last file is each folder into the playlist not all of the file in the folder.

I have the following settings made for the playlist;

Write extended info: on
Entries relative from work directory: on
Create playlist automatically: off (from all files)
Filename of playlist: %_folderpath%%albumartist% - %album%.m3u
Show confirm filename dialog: off
Don't create directories: on

What am I doing wrong?

Hi Dano,

That works perfectly. The only thing is that the file name ends up being %album%.m3u is there a way to make it %album% - %artist%.m3u ?

It's not a big problem for me though if it only has the album name.

Thank You.

Change the playlist name to
%_folderpath%%album% - %artist%.m3u

Thank you Dano. This is going to save me a lot of time.

Hello Dano,

I am have the same symptoms as Marc M

I open a directory, of say, 20 album folders, and all the files of every folder, list inside MP3tag.

I select one file, and go ctrl-shift-P
and on the majority of the playlists - only one mp3 file of the full album, is in Each created playlist.

Now if I go directly into one album folder with say, 10 songs in it, and I do ctrl-shift-P
All TEN songs will be included in the playlist.

Is there a workaround or is this a bug?

Thanks for your reply

If it doesn't work then use the Export tool to create the playlists.
Select all files and open File > Export and press [Insert] to create a new config. Paste this code or similar:

$filename(%_folderpath%%_directory%.m3u,ansi)#EXTM3U
$loop(%_filename_ext%)#EXTINF:%_length_seconds%,%artist% - %title%
%_filename_rel%
$loopend()

Save the changes and select your new config.
Check "[X] One file per directory" and press OK.

QUOTE (dano @ Jan 5 2012, 15:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it doesn't work then use the Export tool to create the playlists.

Select all files and open File > Export and press [Insert] to create a new config. Paste this code or similar:

$filename(%_folderpath%%_directory%.m3u,ansi)#EXTM3U
%_filename_rel%
$loopend()

Save the changes and select your new config.
Check "[X] One file per directory" and press OK.

This export and code is unnecessary. The bug the users are referring to - when only one song is added to each playlist per folder - happens if you do not sort all the files in MP3 by path before hitting ctr-shift-P. Only when you sort by path first do all the files in the folder become included in the playlist.

From a previous post:

You can use the [Ctrl+Shift+P] keyboard shortcut, to recursively create playlists according to the format string at Options, Playlist for each subfolder. Please note that the files in Mp3tag's file view have to be sorted by directory.

If you want Mp3tag to create the playlists in the appropriate subfolders, you have to use a format string like
%_directory%\%artist% - %album%.m3u

I hope this helps with others that have been confused by this commonly requested operation.

I am taking a shot here, I don't know if anyone will see this. I googled my issue and it brought me here kind of ironically. But maybe you can help.

I don't actually use mp3tag, but I absolutely will buy it if it can do one thing. I have about 1100 folders of music, and after spending a ton of time organizing it, I want to create mass playlists (ie: one for each folder, which usually contains one album). I am not sure this is what the OP was trying to do, but it sounds like it. Also, while I am not a novice, the solution cited sounds complicated, can someone dumb it down for me?

I hope someone sees this and is able to offer some help.

Thanks!

Copy this code to the clipboard:

QUELLTEXT
$filename(%_directory%\\%artist% - %album%.m3u,ansi)#EXTM3U

%_filename_rel%
$loopend()

Load the files for which you want to get a playlist.
Select the files.
Open File>Export
In the dialogue click the "New" button.
Enter a name for the export (e.g. "Album Playlist") and click OK.
The Windows Editor will open with some text in it.
Select all of the text and overwrite it with the contents of the clipboard.
Close the editor and confirm that you want to save the modification.
Back in the Export dialogue, the new Export (e.g. "Album Playlist") should be selected.
Now tick: One file per folder
then click ok.
If you have not changed anything about the default messages, you should get a message that tells you which m3u-files have been created.

Ah, one more thing: MP3tag is freeware so you can try free of charge if you get the results that you wanted - but you are very welcome to donate