Create folders from tags. Possible?

I hope this is the right part of the forum to post this question.

Is it possible to create folders based on the ID3 tags from a batch of mp3s? and move the mp3s themselves into the designated folder?

Ideally Id like for the folders to be created with a structure of: Artist/Album

Thanks for any help.

1 Like

Creating folders and complete directory structures from tags can be done by using the :mt_ttf: Converter > Tag - Filename.

Besides using normal placeholders (such as %artist%, %title%, ...) and arbitrary text (e.g., Music) it also allows for separating folders with the backslash \ character.

When you're using a backslash in a format string, Mp3tag will create a directory from the part of the format string in front of a backslash.

Here is an example that creates new directories under C:\Music:

C:\Music\$left(%artist%,1)\\%artist%-%year%-%album%\$num(%track%,2). %title%

The same is also possible using relative path names (instead of an absolute path in the example above) which creates the new directory below the current working directory:

%artist%-%year%-%album%\$num(%track%,2). %title%

Please note that the whole range of Mp3tag's internal Scripting Functions can be used in the format string.

1 Like

Thanks a whole lot, youre a lifesaver. I would have never figured this out on my own. The "language" used to do certain things on Mp3Tag is not exactly easy for newbs like me, but I still love the program with a passion.

what if just want it to rename the folder where the mp3 files are?
or alternatively, can it move files like .jpg and .cue to the new folder?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.