Custom Tags, etc. (bugs and additional options)

Hi Florian,

great work and great program, helped me a lot to edit 2000 songs last evening.

Something what occurred to me during last edit. It would be nice to have:

1. There is no overview of non standard (Custom Tags). Because there could be any custom tags inside of. e.g. 1000 songs, there is no way to easily find them. It would be helpful in order to decide which columns to add.

Addition of this columns with Custom tags should be easier (a selection from available from current songs).

1. Added custom fields should become a selection for Tag Panel - adding those custom fields should be easier. Same for filter (currently it is not possible to filter by values in custom tags).

2. Missing option - Convert Tag-Tag (e.g. simple copy from Custom Tag to Comment, etc.)

Additionally,

4.1. Filters still do not work properly with such characters as ()[], which were used extensively in file names. Same with those characters in "Convert" Filename-Tag. Funny that it works in converting FileName-Filename (so I had to use this option first to replace all ()[] in the file name by e.g. 'zz', and than using conversion to replace what was in between 'zz' and 'zz' to get this info into the tag. This characters should be handled correctly on all levels.

4.2. Error message if, e.g. Edit file names of 2 files which contain
1st file format: %1--%2--%3
2nd file format: %1--%2

I give a command to replace %1--%2 with %1-%2

On the first run everything is fine.
On the second run, an error message pops up.
Works only if. the refresh of the page is done, files selected again, applied editing tool.

4.3. Was missing an option to remove spaces in the end of the name: e.g. "Song Name .mp3"

4.4. Would be nice to move columns by drag and drop.

4.5. Option to delete all ID3v1. Option to write only to ID3v2

4.6. Advanced filter with multiple conditions. Though, a trick works - advance filter in MediaMonkey, drag and drop selected songs to Mp3Tag Editor. But, again, no option to filter by custom tags, or option to filter by "begins with" & "ends with" even there.

Thank you very much for a great help which your program gives to all of us.

Regards.

1. Use "Convert > Actions" or quick actions button

4.1 Try to put the signs in quotation marks. Can you give an example from your "Convert > Filename - Tag" problem?

4.3 /t/967/1

4.5 See Options > Tags > Mpeg

4.6 Read the help about the filter. Custom tags are also supported, just enter them.

Thanks dano.
Got an answer from Florian as well, as he is a nice guy :wink:
Thanks to you both.

The summary is below.
Legend:
Q – my questions, comments
A – Florian’s answer
AA – dano’s answer
In Bold - current additions (from me).

In green – resolved In blue - partially resolved, satisfying In red – still a question or feature request. 1.

Q: There is no overview of non standard (Custom Tags). Because there could be any custom tags inside of. e.g. 1000 songs, there is no way to easily find them. It would be helpful in order to decide which columns to add.

A: You find an overview via Alt+T

Q: Regarding ALT-T, it still gives the whole list of all tags used. Difficult to see immediately which are not standard. (not standard like Year, Artist etc but like "COMMENT SONGS-DB_CUSTOM1" generated in this case by Media Monkey). Even if we find which are custom tags, there is no quick way to add them as columns.

A: Mp3tag makes no distinction between custom and default tags since this applies only to certain tag formats, i.e., ID3v2. With VorbisComments for example, there is no such think as custom tags since all tags are written in the same way. I understand your suggestion regarding adding custom columns from the found tag fields and I remember that someone on the forums (IIRC it was DetlevD) wrote an Export script that produced a columns.ini containing all tag fields from a selection of files. Maybe this can help you.

Q: Does any one has an information about such script, could not find anything about it (how to populate columns based on "non-standard" tags.

Q: Added custom fields should become a selection for Tag Panel – adding those custom fields should be easier. Same for filter (currently it is not possible to filter by values in custom tags).

A: You're probably using an old version. v2.45a allows for filtering of arbitrary custom fields.

Q: Regarding, filter: Yeah, I was using 2.43. Read history change for 2.45a, did not see any changes regarding point which I mentioned here (filter). Now I see my custom tag as well.
However, I still do not see the option for multiple conditions.

A: There are AND and OR to combine different filter expressions. Please look at the help again.

Q: Thanks, found it out. http://help.mp3tag.de/main_filter.html

Q: Missing option - Convert Tag-Tag (e.g. simple copy from Custom Tag to Comment, etc.)

A: It's a little bit hidden as action 'Format value' which is also available as quick action via Shift+Alt+5

Q: Yeah, it is hidden. :wink: I guess, there is some thing could be done regarding user friendliness (though, the guys who edits tags so massively, actually do not require it, they most likely prefer to sit in Linux anyway :wink: ).
This is where I see a problem for any software in general, that when it becomes packed with features, it could be cumbersome to produce a good structure (GUI) for all features, so that they could be easily accessible and found & understood by the 1st time user without too much effort. And there is always a trade off with something...

AA: Use "Convert > Actions" or quick actions button

Q: Thanks.

Additionally,

Q: Filters still do not work properly with such characters as ()[], which were used extensively in file names. Same with those characters in "Convert" Filename-Tag. Funny that it works in converting FileName-Filename (so I had to use this option first to replace all ()[] in the file name by e.g. 'zz', and than using conversion to replace what was in between 'zz' and 'zz' to get this info into the tag. This characters should be handled correctly on all levels.

A: This is because the old filter supported regular expressions (and these chars are special chars in regex). Please try with the latest version

AA: Try to put the signs in quotation marks. Can you give an example from your "Convert > Filename - Tag" problem?

Q: Thanks. Currently have no examples (everything converted).

Q: Error message if, e.g. Edit file names of 2 files which contain
1st file format: %1--%2--%3
2nd file format: %1--%2
I give a command to replace %1--%2 with %1-%2
On the first run everything is fine.
On the second run, an error message pops up.
Works only if. the refresh of the page is done, files selected again, applied editing tool.

A: Did not understand this. Maybe I'll have to read again later.

Q: Additional clarification: if there are many elements in the same filename which I want to replace, e.g. all 'A" replace with 'B'. If there are two As in 1st file and only one A in the second, then by the first replacement everything fine - first one in the 1st file is replaced with B and the only one in the 2nd file is replaced with B. However, now there is one A in 1st file and no As in 2nd file name. If I simply click the same action to convert FileName-FileName I get an error (because in the 2nd file there are no As). This could be only worked around as to refresh the view and select all the files anew (in this case 1st file) and run the Rename/Conversion functionality.

Q: It gives a message: "String %1--%2--%3 is not a valid format string for filenames."
And it stops to proceed when it meets a file which does not match condition.

Q: Was missing an option to remove spaces in the end of the name: e.g. "Song Name .mp3"

A: See FAQ: /t/967/1

AA: /t/967/1

Q: Thanks. Looks complicated for a simple space removal :wink:

4.4. Would be nice to move columns by drag and drop.

OK, noted.

Q: Option to delete all ID3v1. Option to write only to ID3v2

A: This can be done using options at 'Options > Tags > Mpeg'
AA: See Options > Tags > Mpeg

Q: Did it. But is there an option to do it without Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V? Takes a lot of time to cut ID3v2 tags.

BTW, what is the tag version Lyrics3v2 and how can I see it values?

Q: Advanced filter with multiple conditions. Though, a trick works -advance filter in MediaMonkey, drag and drop selected songs to Mp3Tag Editor. But, again, no option to filter by custom tags, or option to filter by "begins with" & "ends with" even there.

A: Again, see the new filter: http://help.mp3tag.de/main_filter.html
AA: Read the help about the filter. Custom tags are also supported, just enter them.

Q: Thanks.

Thanks for your answers and your help to understand mp3tag better.