_directory multiple albums

It happened to me so I thought to report it although a minor bug.
Having multiple discs of same album (someone could have multiple albums too) in same directory I decided to put each of them in separate directory.
FORMAT VALUE action of "_directory" tag worked but it was set to the last track for all albums.
E.g.
Before change

• \ALBUM\Artist - disk1 - track1
  • \ALBUM\Artist - disk1 - track2
  • \ALBUM\Artist - disk1 - track3
  • \ALBUM\Artist - disk1 - track4
  • \ALBUM\Artist - disk2 - track1
  • \ALBUM\Artist - disk2 - track2
  • \ALBUM\Artist - disk2 - track3
  • \ALBUM\Artist - disk2 - track4
  • \ALBUM\Artist - disk2 - track5
After change
  • \ALBUM\CD2\Artist - disk1 - track1
  • \ALBUM\CD2\Artist - disk1 - track2
  • \ALBUM\CD2\Artist - disk1 - track3
  • \ALBUM\CD2\Artist - disk1 - track4
  • \ALBUM\CD2\Artist - disk2 - track1
  • \ALBUM\CD2\Artist - disk2 - track2
  • \ALBUM\CD2\Artist - disk2 - track3
  • \ALBUM\CD2\Artist - disk2 - track4
  • \ALBUM\CD2\Artist - disk2 - track5
Even directory was set to CD1 for disk1 and CD2 for CD2.

No surprise because this is the way the filesystem is organized and Mp3tag uses the pseudo tag field _DIRECTORY.

In the moment when the parent folder of a file or folder item got a "new" name, all file or folder items within the folder got immediately the same "new" parent folder.
In fact all the "inner" file or folder items did not move anywhere, but they stay at the same place as before just under the new parent folder name.

This happens for all files at once as soon as the first file has been touched by Mp3tag and the pseudo tag field _DIRECTORY has been written.

If you want to distribute files into several folders, then use the pseudo tag field _FILENAME.

DD.20120707.1735.CEST

if you still need to get more directories that you currently have, you have to modify the filename either with an action or with the converter Tag-Filename.
But always the new filename has to contain backslashes to indicate new directories.
Ths method, though, only deals with files that a) have tags and b) are handled by MP3tag.
All other files like cuesheets, playlists or picture files stay in the old place.
Also, even if you have not extra files then you may be left with empty folders after the files have been moved to the new locations.

If you have the files in the correct folder structure but not yet in the correct naming pattern then you can rename the directories the way you did it.

So you have to clear about whether you deal with files or with directories.

Thank you both of you guys: DetlevD and ohrenkino.
It makes sense. I was not aware :flushed: that mp3tag could handle _FILENAME including path.