Display APEv2 tags?

Hi Folks,
The title says it all really... is it possible?
I've been playing with MP3Gain from http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net on some of my mp3 files...
Seems to work as expected and adds a few APEv2 tags to files it's tweaked - viz: -

MP3GAIN_MINMAX=093,205
MP3GAIN_ALBUM_MINMAX=042,205
MP3GAIN_UNDO=+005,+005,N
REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN=+2.125000 dB
REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK=0.456468
REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN=-0.335000 dB
REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK=0.548010

or similar...
Currently the only way I can find of displaying this data is using tag.exe, a somewhat long in the tooth command line tool for windows. Anyone know of a way of displaying this info in Extended Tags?
Thanks!
Fred the Fish

see Tools>Options>Tags>Mpeg and set "Read" for APE.

Please note that APE tags are displayed superior to all other tags. You might not see those then any more.

QUOTE (fred-the-fish @ Nov 12 2017, 20:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Folks,

The title says it all really... is it possible?
I've been playing with MP3Gain from http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net on some of my mp3 files...
Seems to work as expected and adds a few APEv2 tags to files it's tweaked - viz: -

MP3GAIN_MINMAX=093,205
MP3GAIN_ALBUM_MINMAX=042,205
MP3GAIN_UNDO=+005,+005,N
REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN=+2.125000 dB
REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK=0.456468
REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN=-0.335000 dB
REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK=0.548010

or similar...
Currently the only way I can find of displaying this data is using tag.exe, a somewhat long in the tooth command line tool for windows. Anyone know of a way of displaying this info in Extended Tags?
Thanks!
Fred the Fish

but be aware, ape in mp3 is bad because it's not designed for it and not common in it.

Thanks for that, works like a charm...

Thanks for the warning, which makes me curious, googling APEv2 turns up information on the metadata format and how to integrate it into mp3's but no warnings...

Fred the Fish

This is the way that MP3tag treats the tag versions. Other programs might do it in a different way. So a general warning would be over the top.

If you search this forum for APE tags you will find that they usually cause confusion. And as it should be possible to store the gain information in ordinary id3v2.3 tags, I would set the gain program so that it does not save the information in APE tags.

Unfortunately MP3Gain will only store the data in APEv2 tags, but hey, never mind, its fixed the widely varying volumes I was experiencing with music playback in Kodi. :slight_smile:

Then I would suggest that you use a workflow where you first let MP3gain fill the APE tags,
then load the files in MP3tag where you read all tag versions but save only ID3Vx ones (and delete APE).
Like that the data should be transferred to ID3V2.3 tags and you see all tag information at one glance.
Another word of warning: this process deletes all data that was previously stored in ID3Vx tags.
So either you do the tagging always with APE writing enabled so that all information is synchronous in all tag versions.
Due to MP3gain the information is out of sync.

Did you know that Foobar2000 can add gaining information in a non-destructive way? And it does not use the APE tags.

• can be a problem with some music players, specialy hardware mp3-players or car hifi because it's not common. common tag for mp3 is id3/id3v2
  • you can get in confusion if ape and/or id3tag contain different information
    (remember, we already hat that problem here in that forum)
  • ape don't have that „unsynchronization scheme“ (in id3v2 integer32 is stored in a way that make sure that that it can not be accidentally read as frame syn)
  • ape can be accidentally read as tag

@ohrenkino: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/APE-Tag