Does anyone include Albumartist in the list of Artists?

I'm trying to decide whether it's a good idea to add the band's name to the list of band members in the Artist field. So, I'd appreciate some info on how other people do it and why.

For example:

ALBUMARTIST:  Tangerine Dream
     ARTIST:  Edgar Froese / Christopher Franke / Peter Baumann

... or ...

ARTIST:  Tangerine Dream / Edgar Froese / Christopher Franke / Peter Baumann

Or maybe include it only for "Various Artists" albums, which is what I currently do?

QUOTE (aax @ Jun 18 2015, 18:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm trying to decide whether it's a good idea to add the band's name to the list of band members in the Artist field. So, I'd appreciate some info on how other people do it and why.

For example:

ARTIST:  Edgar Froese / Christopher Franke / Peter Baumann

... or ...

ARTIST:  Tangerine Dream / Edgar Froese / Christopher Franke / Peter Baumann

Or maybe include it only for "Various Artists" albums, which is what I currently do?

What about the field "involvedpeople"?
http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html#IPLS

In my opinion the artist is still Tangerine Dream for both, ALBUMARTIST and ARTIST. You can be more specific in the field INVOLVEDPEOPLE

Is use Artist for tracks and Albumartist for the artist under which the album was released.
Not every album with different track-artists should be listetd under "Various artists".

Example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Very_Best_of_10cc
Albumartist: 10CC
Artists on some Tracks: Godley & Cream, Hotlegs

ohrenkino, I don't think that's how Artist field is supposed to be used. Both the id3 spec and music players expect (multiple) performers in it, whereas Involved People uses functions+names and includes general personnel like producer and audio engineer. Besides, if I put the band alone both in Album Artist and Artist, one of them is just redundant.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing this the right way, and the only question is if there's any benefit to including the band name with performers (for easier searching, for example).

poster, I know that not every album with different track-artists should be listetd under "Various Artists" and I use it mostly for compilations.

Actually, this is exactly why I'm thinking of including the band in Artist field, because, as it is now, if I search for Album Artist I won't get the albums where the band is just a contributor on a few tracks, and if I search for Artist I will get only those cases.

How do you search and in which software do you search?
I think it all depends wether you want to make your tags compatible with a special software or a hardware-player or if you just want to store the data.
By the way:
If you argue with the official definition of the TPE-frames:
4.2.1 TPE1 [#TPE1 Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)]
4.2.1 TPE2 [#TPE2 Band/orchestra/accompaniment]
4.2.1 TPE3 [#TPE3 Conductor/performer refinement]
4.2.1 TPE4 [#TPE4 Interpreted, remixed, or otherwise modified by]

So your defined albumartist (TPE2) is per definition the place to store the name of the band.
But I don't think you will get far with the different players if you use it like that.

I disagree. The albumartist is a V2.3 field to cater for the cases where you have a general publisher but different individual artists or combinations of artists. This was not possible in V1 and led to splitting up an album to several artists.
For producer there is a separate field just like for conductor.

If you talk about redundant fields - what about artistsort and albumartistsort? They feature almost the same information as ALBUMARTIST and ARTIST ...

But you are free to arrange the data as you like - but the further you differ from common standards, you more extra work you will have to get your tags in the way you want them.
I bet that if you grab tag information for Tangerine Dream from any public source, you will never get the artist field filled with the members names but always with Tangerine Dream.

I normally use the Artist tag for the stage name/group, and any featured artists on a given track. Never knew about the InvolvedPeople tag before, but would be ideal for this as there can be numerous 'artists' for any track (as liner notes reveal).

If the artists listed in the fields don't have solo careers or go by different names elsewhere it also reduces the usefulness of adding it in such a prominent field.

Just my two cents.

ALBUMARTIST=Tangerine Dream
ARTIST=Tangerine Dream

Listing all performers in a band typically just leads to a lot of clutter, even though it may - technically speaking - be more complete. You need some great library management software to take advantage of such complete file tagging, and I'm not sure that such software exists.

On at least 95% of my albums ALBUMARTIST and ARTIST are the same. I list individual performers under ARTIST only in isolated cases, where I want to see that particular album listed for that particular ARTIST. Take Edgar Froese from your example. If I browse Edgar Froese, I'm happy seeing his solo releases, but I don't need or want to see 50 Tangerine Dream albums listed. I know perfectly well where to find those albums.

Here's what I do, and before you criticize, it's what works for my needs. I'm sharing in case it helps others!

ALBUMARTIST is the field iTunes uses to name the folder for a particular artist. I use this field to keep songs by a particular artist together. So John Cougar, John Cougar Mellencamp & John Mellencamp would all have ALBUMARTIST "John Mellencamp" and the ARTIST field would be the name the artist performed the song under. (Same with Fresh Prince & Will Smith, Eric Clapton & Derek & the Dominoes, Bob Marley & Bob Marley & the Wailers, etc.)

This way I have one folder per artist. I also include "guest artists" (xxxx feat. yyyy) in TITLE instead of ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST.

What about groups like Genesis where Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and Peter Gabriel have their own projects?
Or Yazoo with Alison Moyet and Vince Clark who both appeared as further solo artists or in bands like Assembly and Erasure?

Also, I would no let iTunes mess around with the files ...

Like I said, this was a suggestion, and is what works for me. (And based on the way my mind has been working for 30 years trying to locate songs in a hurry) I was a club DJ back in the day, so, that might explain a few things!

Mostly, when artists from bands do a solo project, that would stay under their name... Phil Collins, Peter Gabriels, etc. There's the odd song where requests had been made for Layla by Clapton, and after a few hundred times hearing it, you just associate Layla with Clapton.

Here's the thing though. I still spin as a hobby, and have moved my music to my HDD. The software I use to play doesn't use or display ALBUMARTIST, just ARTIST. I can have ALBUMARTIST Lastname, First for sorting and organization on the HDD, but display ARTIST as Firstname Lastname in my software.

I think it comes from my days of vinyl, when we'd sort full albums alphabetically by artist and 12 inch singles by BPM. Weird, I know, but I don't think there is a right or wrong way to organize, just what works for YOU.