Double 8's and 9's

Hi,

If i have 100 tracks in over 5 discs i like to number them 1 to 100.

but windows explorer displays 2 x 8's, 2 x 9's,
track 17 is missing on disc 1 (Folder1) but is present in disc 2 (Folder2)

so Disc/Folder 1 has Track numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,8,9,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,18,19

Disc/Folder 2 has Track numbers 17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,28,29,29,30,31,32,38,39

etc etc

all the names of the tracks are correct just the id3 tag numbers are messed up.

If i revert back to 1-20 per disc/folder all is back to normal in windows explorer

All tracks are displayed correctly in MP3Tag & Itunes etc, its just a windows explorer issue.

Not quite sure what your question is or exactly what you want to achieve. I'm assuming you want the internal ID3v2 track numbers to be numbered from 1 to 100 and that you then wan the file names to use the same track numbers so that they appear in the correct order in Windows Explorer.

If you load them up in Mp3tag and they appear in the correct order, then you can use the auto-numbering wizard (Tools > Auto-numbering wizard... or Ctrl-K or :mt_trackwiz:). Select all of the files and run the wizard and the tracks will be numbered 1 to 100.

After that, to get them to display correctly in Windows Explorer you'll need to rename the files to incorporate the track number in the file name. You can use the Tag to Filename converter :mt_ttf: and enter something like:

$num(%track%,3). %title%

After that, go back to Windows Explorer and place all of the tracks into the same folder.

I already do as you describe.

my only thought is that its a bug in windows explorer displaying the ID3 track numbers incorrectly as if i read the same tracks in itunes the numbering is ok.

"After that, to get them to display correctly in Windows Explorer you'll need to rename the files to incorporate the track number in the file name." the track number comes from the ID3 Tag in windows explorer, not the file name. I know how to use Auto numbered wizard and tag to file name converter.

There is a bug in the windows explorer that treats three-digit numbers with leading zeros as octal values (instead of decimal).

thank you