Duplicate Files and Folder Creation

So my music library is fragmented into a few folders, and riddled with duplicate files. I was wondering if there is anyway to direct mp3tag to find/target/delete the duplicates and/or create folders for the errant files and move them.

I'm not familiar with the capabilities of this program so please excuse any raw foolishness on my part.

Any help is much appreciated, whether mp3tag can help me or if you know of other programs that could.

Mp3tag has limited capabilities for finding duplicate music files.

Try the free program Similarity. It finds duplicates based on tags and also compares music content so you can find duplicates even if the tags don't match.

Thanks a lot man! If I can just get rid of the doubles, I might not even care about the disorganized folders. Just throw em all in a designated disorganized zone.

There is a sort of indirect way:
The converter Tag-Filename allows you to modify filenames by using tag information.
If you extend the mask to define the new filename by addressing an absolute path then files will actually moved from one directory to another (all files that are not handled by MP3tag stay where the are, though - which may be troublesome with external album pictures).
Anyway.
If you have several files that have identical tags then if would not be possible to rename them to a single file. Mp3tag would leave them as they are.
If you have (e.g.) a folder with the old music, then load this folder, e.g. m:\oldmusic.
Select all files.
Open the converter tag-filename and enter a mask that looks like this:
m:\newmusic\%artist%\%album%$num(%track%,3) _ %title%
This would attempt to move/rename all the files to m:\newmusic but will fail for all those files that have tags that would lead to filenames that are already there. These files would stay in m:\oldmusic.

So if you are sure that your tags are really well kept then this would be a first approach.
The disadvantage of the method relying on tags is that minute spelling differences will lead to new files although the contents is the same or equal tags will lead to the renaming error although one version is the radio edit and the other the live version...

In the end you will need several turns to get it right. The program Similarity is a good help but also requires a lot of manual work....

There have been several approaches documented inthis forum, some attempting to utilize the md5 checksum, others to get the tags right. But in the end, the effort to get one method foolproof method is almost as high as checking all the tracks manually....
No one has yet found th Philosopher's stone.

It is not necessary to move the files when comparing tag content!
Just create a new tag field with a name of your wish, which can hold the compare string, built from the content of existing tag-fields, which can be selected and ordered as you want.
Then sort the list of files by this compare tag-field. Duplicates will be ordered together.
An "Export Duplicates" export script from anywhere here in the forum can be useful to visualize the results. Or use some export script to create a playlist text file of duplicates.

DD.20110418.1601.CEST

Yes, I know that you prefer it that way and I really think that your way should be the preferred one if the renaming-error is actually unintended, sort of accident.
In GRANDMAAAAA's case I think it is different in that respect that he KNOWS he has duplicates in in his collection. And that he does not want to scan through these one-by-one. Which you would have to do if you have to look at a (user-defined) tag field. So, I took the liberty to suggest to misuse the otherwise useful error handling as indication for duplicates.
To my disappointment I have to admit that any of the implied ways does not really relieve you from the task to check if an alleged duplicate is a real one and whether tag-wise different tracks actually differ.
So GRANDMAAAAA: which do you choose? Gate A or Gate B?

Man. I have no idea. I've experimented with a few programs/mp3tag actions in a smaller folder. I've tried using Similarity, which installed fine and simply won't scan.

Getting to the point where program frustration and my lack of technical knowledge are pushing me toward doing the whole thing manually.

Although this is the mp3tag forum:
You have to select a reasonably large amount of files (a couple of thousand) by ticking the folder(s) in the navigation tree of Similarity. The selected folders are summed up in the view area at the bottom left.
then press the cassette recorder like start-triangle at the top of the application window
change to the tab folder "results" to see the alleged duplicates.
It is usually a good idea to adjust the options:
Contents should be at least 95% equal, tags usually do not matter at all, switch off "precise".

acoustic fingerprinting is still the way for finding duplicates
( example http://betanews.com/2015/06/27/find-simila...ith-mediapurge/ )

Thanks for the suggestion. The Mediapurge audio comparison works fairly well.

Unfortunately the user manual is only in German.