Editing only Genre

Hello everyone, I've just downloaded Mp3Tag and I'm brand new to the forums, so I apologize if this question has been asked before.

Here's what happened:
I use WinAmp to manage and organize all of my files. Well yesterday I went to add all my music back to my media library and a good handful of these songs had a blank "Genre" field (This was not blank before) I tried editing them through WinAmp and all was going well, until I removed the newly edited files and added them back again - to see if it had worked. All those songs I just edited were blank once again in the Genre field :angry:

So I downloaded this program to permanently fix this reccuring issue, the only problem is I cannot figure out exactly how. All of these songs that have missing genres, also show up as not having anything under the TAG field in Mp3Tag, but I don't know what this means...All I want to do is fill in the blank where the Genre field is, all other info is present in my player. However when I went to do this, I typed in < keep> for all fields but the one I needed. But nothing happened when I tried playing it back in Winamp.

If anyone can help shed some light on the situation or provide and help at all, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm not sure what may seem to cause that problem. It may be due to these issues:

1 - Check if you're editing the ID3V2 and the ID3V1 genre tags.

Tools -> Options -> Tags -> Mpeg -> Read: ID3v1 and ID3v2

Tools -> Options -> Tags -> Mpeg -> Write: ID3v1 and ID3v2

2 - If that doesn't solve the problem, pick one of those problematic files, erase all ID3 data and fill-in by hand. It may be due to some weird flaw that prevents from writting it's tag. Can't explain better, it happened to me before.

Good luck with it! :slight_smile: