Error: File Cannot Be Accessed

While trying to edit a few MP3 files, I'm having the following problem: When I click "save" after having changed a tag's information, a box pops up saying: "File cannot be accessed" (see attached screen capture). What does this mean? I have checked out the files in their original folder. They do not seem to be corrupted or incompatible in any way. Has anyone else had this problem? I looked at the FAQ's and searched the Forum, but did not find anything specific. Is there are "work-around" to this? Thanks.

C:\Users\MOM\~~~ BACKUP MUSIC FILES ~~~\Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart\Mozart- The Marriage of Figaro, Highlights-Mitridate, K.87-La Finta Giardiniera, K.196\05 Le nozze di Figaro (The Marriage of Figaro), opera, K.492- Hai già vinta la causa!, the Count's Aria.mp3

It looks like an insane long file path name of 260 characters or longer.
Did you never heard of limitations on the length of a file path name?

Read there ...
/t/10690/1
/t/4623/1

DD.20121029.0547.CET

Thanks for the reply. Yet, even when I shorten the file path, album name, etc., I am STILL getting the same erro message. Any ideas?

What happens, if you move that file to the root directory?
Who is the owner of the file?

Please show us a concrete example of the error message by screenshot or so.

DD.20121119.0819.CET

Please, see my origimal post.

So, you have not changed anything then?

The error case with the long file name has been resolved.

Now there seems to be another problem, maybe giving the same error message.
I just want to see a test case, which produces this error message.

Please read ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159199/en-us
... and make sure, that there are no other applications actively running on your machine, which have access to the same file, when Mp3tag does work with the file.

DD.20121119.2000.CET

I had this same problem all day today and figure it out little bit by little bit.

It was not the file name, but the special characters in the file name which caused the problem.

Read on.

Original file name length:

c:\59 characters of subdirectories\65 Character file name.mp4

There were hyphens and brackets in the name along the way in both the sub-directories and final file name.

So it looks like this:

G:\TEMP_MOVIES\Movie Name12 - Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv [2013]\*.*
          Movie Name12 - Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv [2013] - Xtra 01 Preview.jpg
          Movie Name12 - Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv [2013] - Xtra 01 Preview.mp4

At first I thought it was because I was on a hybrid version of windows under Mac's bootcamp dual Operating system program. No, that wasn't it, because the same thing happened on my old laptop (where it worked like a charm before) And where I copied over the exact cluster of files to a directory, and retried the cover art assignment operation. Still no good.

I thought it might have been the format of the image file (.png) nope, or the color bit 4:4:4 vs. 4:2:2, nope .

I then tried relocating the files to the root directory at:

Step 5: Root Directory relocating maintaining same file name?

G:\TEMP_MOVIES\Movie Name12 - Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv [2013]*.*

To:
G:*.*

Movie Name12 - Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv [2013] - Xtra 01 Preview.jpg
Movie Name12 - Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv [2013] - Xtra 01 Preview.mp4

Nope, same message.
So clearly this wasn't a "file name length" issue.

Step 6:

Analysis:

I remember in my programming days when a special character would pop up in a string to be managed inside the program as a variable, and if that variable had a special character, or any other character mis-handled by the program, it would fail.

So I then eliminating all the special characters from my file name one by one.

Looking like this:

G:\TEMP_MOVIES\Movie Name12 Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv 2013\*.*
      Movie Name12 Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv 2013 Xtra 01 Preview.jpg
      Movie Name12 Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv 2013 Xtra 01 Preview.mp4

Walla, it then worked.

Well, I said this is weird.

So I began adding the special characters back into the "long file name" to see which character was getting mp3tag stuck (variable entering the program contained special character that mp3tag or its source code referred to as a code instruction.

I added the hyphens -, that was okay.

G:\TEMP_MOVIES\Movie Name12 - Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv 2013\*.*
      Movie Name12 - Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv 2013 - Xtra 01 Preview.jpg
      Movie Name12 - Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv 2013 - Xtra 01 Preview.mp4

Worked as well with hyphens.

But when I added the brackets back in (see original file name above) it didn't work.

I then added my entire file name back substituting parenthesis for the brackets as follows:

G:\TEMP_MOVIES\Movie Name12 - Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv (2013)\*.*
      Movie Name12 - Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv (2013) - Xtra 01 Preview.jpg
      Movie Name12 - Abc Def Ghijkl mno Pqrstuv (2013) - Xtra 01 Preview.mp4

And that also ultimately worked.

So, in conclusion,

It wasn't the file name length - because all characters were still used in the final experiment.

The issue was mis-handling the brackets [ ] in the string for the file name.

So this should be an easy fix for the developers to include a provision in their input variable query to ignore the bracket (or find a work around to it, perhaps temporarily replace it for processing purposes, then replace it after for final output reference).

Hope this entry was helpful, let me know if it was.

I may put a tutorial online at youtube if I have the time so it can be watched i real time.

© 20130428_1925 EST MikesMultiMedia

Forward this along to mp3tag developers so they can make the quick fix, and give me credit for it.

Ha ha.

As far as I can see there were no square brackets in the OP's example of a filename.
Also: could you try to use the $validate function to create valid filenames.
Also, I do not have any problems to write filenames with square brackets, see dump.
So: what about the ownership of the various files?

You don't really mention what you were exactly trying to do when you got the error message (which one by the way, from the first screenshot? )
It looks like you were trying an "Import cover from file" action, but you're also not saying which parameters you used.
So please provide more information.

I know this is a really old thread, but I wanted to add an experience I encountered this weekend. I'm running V2.66 (I know - old) on a Parallels Virtual Maching on my Macbook. It's the newest version which runs on my version of XP, which Microsoft will not allow to update to current anymore. (My XP install disc is SP2. And you can't upgrade to SP3 through Microsoft, and I'm not sure I want to download an OS from anywhere else.)

Anyway, my issue was I had a file (ZZ Top - My Head's in Mississippi) which MP3Tag would not read the tags from, and would show up in my collection with out tags, and if I tried to edit or remove the tags from the file, I'd get the "...Cannot be accessed" error. I read this thread, and did some experimenting.

If I put the file into another folder, the tags would be read. Put it back, can't be read. Recreated the folder for the album, still could not be read. My solution: Change the album name, so that the folder name for that album changed. Bingo! Success.

Not sure what the issue was, but it did not like that the folder was called "Recycler"

Hope this helps anyone who finds the same issue at some time.

Recycler is the name of the Windows system folder for "Trash".