Error Message/Convert Tab

Hi,

Been using DBPA to RIP CDs.. and Mp3 tag. After using Convert> tag-Filename, I've had the error message pop up in mp3tag.
It only happens to a few tracks and not many Cd/track Conversions.
I Then go into filename/track and correct info for any track, with error. Even with corrections I still get pop up message...Any ideas whats causing it...???

but my streamer reads Track as ............Track Name[] [] [].......(see snapshots)

Any ideas...???

The first step could be to enclose the mask for the filename in a $validate() function.
Apparently you have invalid characters in the filename

thanks ohrenkino, Any chance you could Guide me on how to Enclose the Mask For the Filename
...Iam not super tech savvy.

Regards

Daleyb

You have not given your mask to rename the files. so I just use an example:

instead of the simple
%albumartist% _ %album% _ $num(%track%,2) _ %title%
enter for the Convert>Tag-Filename function

$validate(%albumartist% _ %album% _ $num(%track%,2) _ %title%)
if you want to cut out each illegal character
or
$validate(%albumartist% _ %album% _ $num(%track%,2) _ %title%,_)
if you want to replace every illegal character with _ (you can set there other characters, they should be legal, though).

Also, it could be that a very long filename leads to errors. The maximum for best compatibility is 253 characters for the fully qualified filename (this includes drive and path and extension)

heres my format String: $num(%track%,2) - %title%. I can use rename to correct manually, but errors still occur(luckily not that many!)

You may enter this as format string:
$validate($num(%track%,2) - %title%,_)

and see if the _ appears in strange places. The _ indicates the position of the illegal character.

The only thing Thing is Ive already corrected the tracks in filename-rename-manually
But when I go back to my original string it still shows the error message...and error on streamer.
Maybe its easier to just re-rip.?

When error occurs to normally looks like: track title______.flac

This shows that you have illegal trailing characters in TITLE (and they get replaced with _)

For one of the erroneous files, try an action of the type "Format value" for TITLE
Format string: $trim(%title%)

This should remove any space and non-printing character from TITLE. The result should be a correct display.

that's fine, however, I have manually renamed my errors, (thinking this would solve the problem..)

Still when I use Convert> Tag-filename and recheck with my Format String the error still appears. .and the problem still exists
-although, it looks correct in Columns

Seeing as its only a few CDS (OUT OF A 1000) would you re-rip then try your above Solution..?

To me it looks like a tagging problem. Re-ripping would re-write the audio part and probably use the same tagging information.
Why not try the $trim() function straight away on the existing tags?

ive tried.. and unless because ive tried to correct manually, or Iam doing something wrong-its not working.

maybe you could explain "step by step" i.e. Open> Convert> put in string> Then...... Etc..

The thing is is although its rare to get an illegal tag..it could be very useful to learn for future use!

I do not think that fiddling with the filename is a good idea as the players gets upset because of the strange characters in the tags.
So you would have to get rid of the strange characters in the fields and not the filename.

You could proceed as follows:
Load the files.
Filter for files that have control or other characters in the field TITLE:
"$if($eql($len(%title%),$len($trim(%title%))),1,0)" IS "0"
For the found files carry out this action:
Type: Format value
Field: TITLE

This should lead to title fields without upsetting control characters. And they should be displayed by the player and cause no problems when creating new filenames.

[quote name='ohrenkino' post='91661']
I do not think that fiddling with the filename is a good idea as the players gets upset because of the strange characters in the tags.
So you would have to get rid of the strange characters in the fields and not the filename.

You could proceed as follows:
Load the files.
Filter for files that have control or other characters in the field TITLE:
"$if($eql($len(%title%),$len($trim(%title%))),1,0)" IS "0"
For the found files carry out this action:
Type: Format value
Field: TITLE

This should lead to title fields without upsetting control characters. And they should be displayed by the player and cause no problems when creating new filenames.
[/quote.

got it sorted...it was really easy. Just Deleted Title>Re-named. Many Thanks for your help Kind Sir!!!