[F] 2.53k crash

bug-fixed

================================================================================
Mp3tag v2.35k - 13.03.2006 - 07:35:31
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OS-Version: Windows XP Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build: Mar 10 2006 19:50:46
AppPath:  572.977.152 Bytes frei (D:\Program Files\MP3 Ripping\MP3Tag\)
DataPath: 864.153.600 Bytes frei (C:\Documents and Settings\********\Application Data\Mp3tag\data\)
TempPath: 864.153.600 Bytes frei (C:\DOCUME~1\******~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Mp3tag v2.35k\)
================================================================================

THROW
File:  .\smetadata.cpp
Line:  84
CATCH
File:  .\mtfilelistctrl.cpp
Line:  1032

Mp3tag v2.35k - 13.03.2006 - 07:35:31
AppPath:  572.977.152 Bytes frei (D:\Program Files\MP3 Ripping\MP3Tag\)
DataPath: 864.153.600 Bytes frei (C:\Documents and Settings\*******\Application Data\Mp3tag\data\)
TempPath: 864.153.600 Bytes frei (C:\DOCUME~1\******~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Mp3tag v2.35k\)

THROW
CATCH
File:  .\mtfilelistctrl.cpp
Line:  1032

THROW
CATCH
File:  .\mtmainframethreads.cpp
Line:  793

Interesting.

Can you give a little bit more feedback on how the crash happend? Can you reproduce it with a specific file or does this happen randomly to you?

The first 2 crashes above were on the startup scan. Crash was random.

The crash below was when adding cover art tags:

Mp3tag v2.35k - 13.03.2006 - 09:09:31
AppPath:  552.185.856 Bytes frei (D:\Program Files\MP3 Ripping\MP3Tag\)
DataPath: 863.973.376 Bytes frei (C:\Documents and Settings\********\Application Data\Mp3tag\data\)
TempPath: 863.973.376 Bytes frei (C:\DOCUME~1\******~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Mp3tag v2.35k\)

THROW
CATCH
File:  .\mtmainframethreads.cpp
Line:  793

After the crash the program is completely unresponsive and will not close. I appears as running in the Task Mannager.

Can you reproduce the crash by adding cover art to a specific file (maybe it's also dependent on the jpg file)?

I've rewritten the relevant code, so please try again with this build.

Tried the new build. Same problem. No specific album or jpg, just seems to lock up at random. Wish I could be of more help.

Too bad, I can't do anything about it at the moment because everything is working fine here. I'll have a look at the code again and try to find a potential problem. In the meanwhile I'll transcode my whole collection to MP3 and add some cover art, maybe the problem only exists with large collections.

It's very unlikely but maybe updating to XP SP2 will solve the issue.

Can you please try it again with this build?

Thank you!

scanning the library now. I'll let you know later how things go.

$if(%_covers%,x,)

Seems to be broken in this build. It was working in previous builds but now I can't see which files have covers.

Seems that this build removed ALL tags from over half of my library (about 6000 songs) Ouch! All I wanted to do was add the cover art :frowning:

Sorry for this, but these builds are not even in beta stage. That means that you should try it on some test files first.

I can't reproduce it here, but it seems that you're adding huge cover art (~ 50 - 100KB per cover) to many files at once. You should have in mind, that every cover added to the files is kept in memory during one Mp3tag session.

The latest version should behave much better in such circumstances.

This should be fixed with this build.

Thanks for testing and apologies for messing you tags.

Best regards,
~ Florian

The only 2 things I have done are to create a new colum with the value:

$if(%_covers%,x,)

to show if a file has covers or not, and create an action to add cover from file folder.jpg.

At first I tried to run the action on my entire collection, ~12000 songs, and had the crashes as above. It would do some of the tagging. NExt time I would run mp3tag I would sort using the covers colum created to only select those files without coverart yet (those that were not tagged before the crash), and use the cover action on them. It always worked on some files before randomly crashing. The build indicated above removed all other tags from the files when it used the same action command, so the files,~2000-3000, have covers but no other tags.

Seems like your computer had no free memory anymore when these crashes occured. This should be more stable with the k6 build from my post above.

Hmm, any reason that should happen? Shouldnt it only write tags (erase tags) 1 file at a time? I have noticed that mp3tag tends to use about 400MB or system memory (I have a gig). This seems like a large footprint for the program.

It only writes one file at a time, but to display your tags, it has to keep them in memory. If you tag your files with cover art, the cover art is loaded into memory too (just do a little calculation and you should easily reach 400MB memory looking at the size of your collection).

But how does that get rid of the tags when there is a crash? I can understand that 1 tag being written when the crash happens being lost, but >2000?

I can't neither imagine an explanation for this nor reproduce this. You were the first user who reported that issue.

Btw, have you tried the latest build?

Yes, I have been using it to re-tag the 2000 files. Until thats done Im not going to run the cover tag sesion again. Plus, as indicated above the cover colum is brokin in the latest build.

Would there be an easy way to auto search freedb for the 2000 files. They are all separated into artist/album/ directories so it would be nice if mp3tag could auto-group the albums for freedb id calculation and lookup.

I don't think that you're using the latest build. Can you please download again and see if the cover column is working?

Unfortunately not. But you can use the converter Filename - Tag to import tag information from file and directory names.