[F] Actions creating empty tag fields unnecessarily

bug-fixed

I noticed when running actions on a tag field if the field does not exist in the tag, the action will create the field anyway with nothing in it!

Actions such as Replace or Case Conversion seem to imply that they will affect only existing fields whereas Format Value you would imagine will always result in a field being written.

Should some actions only write to the field if the tag already contains that particular field to prevent the empty fields being created?

This sounds like a good idea too me.

Can you give an example of such an action?

These actions should only affect existing fields and not create empty fields in the tag

Case conversion
Convert codepage
Replace
Replace with regular expression

e.g. Replace "The" => "the" in comment field. Run on a group of files. Any file which didn't already have a comment field will now have an empty comment field.

Maybe its not such a big deal?

An empty tag field is displayed, but no actual tag field is created. Some visual bug.

Maybe its not such a big deal?

Big enough. Here on a 10K-track set it caused bloat of files and massive bloat of the backup.

Anyone know a workaround? Extended Tags won't show the tag for me to delete it.

I get the reverse - no display (see /t/6737/1 but yes tag (see same).

That is a different case.

OK. Thanks for reporting, I'll fix it to the next release (though the empty fields are not written to the tags).

Kind regards,
Florian

How so? It can arise just as Oblio reports.

I noticed that visual glitch too but that is not what I am reporting. I have 100s of files with empty TIT3 tags to prove it!

It seems to only happen if action is part of an action group but I am having trouble replicating the issue. Will report back if I can narrow it down.

I thought actions had to be!

FWIW the recipe here (V2.41) is simply

1 Load an mp3 having no CJJTEMP tag
2 Convert Actions with an Action Group containing one Action:
Replace "CJJTEMP": "a" -> "a" (case-sensitive comparison)

Now the file has an empty CJJTEMP tag. Every time.

Not quite

What I am seeing is this. After the action is run, the extended tags dialog shows the empty field but it is not written into the tag yet. If you OK out of the extended tags dialog the tag is updated - the empty field disappears and is not written into the tag. However if you cancel out of the extended tags dialog and then click save button the empty field disappears from the extended tags dialog but is written into the tag.

After the action is run, the extended tags dialog shows the empty field but it
is not written into the tag yet.

Confirmed.

However if you cancel out of the extended tags dialog and then click save
button the empty field disappears from the extended tags dialog but is written into the tag.

Confirmed - my recipe needs a final Save to be correct.

Nice catch Oblio!

This is now fixed in the latest Development Build Mp3tag v2.41a.

Kind regards,
Florian