[F] Drag from DVD drive is always Add Directory!

If I drag (not SHIFT drag) a DVD drive letter (containing MP3s) in Win XP SP2 Explorer to Mp3tag, the cursor shows a plus sign and the operation is an Add Directory rather than the normal Change Directory. Holding SHIFT or CTRL does not change this.

Be aware of the implied read only attribute of files stored on an optical medium.

DD.20090811.1226.CEST

Be aware of the implied read only attribute of files stored on an optical medium.

I am thanks, but perhaps Mp3tag is not i.e. is misinterpreting this as if it should have same effect on Mp3tag Change/Add Directory as it does on Explorer Move/Copy File.

I think ... Mp3tag is not able to create temp files on a DVD (other apps too), so it is only possible to copy files from a read only medium (therefore the plus symbol when dragging), even it cannot be possible to set the "working-dir" to a folder on a read only medium.

DD.20090811.1442.CEST

I think ... Mp3tag is not able to create temp files on a DVD (other apps too)

I don't see why Mp3tag should need to make any temp files on the target drive.

, so it is only possible to copy files from a read only medium

I don't see why Mp3tag needs to copy files. I want only to read the tags.

(therefore the plus symbol when dragging)

That would be bad. Plus sign says "Add directory", as we can see when dragging from read/-writable drive.

even it cannot be possible to set the "working-dir" to a folder on a read only medium.

Mp3tag does that fine here.

Thanks for the suggestions Detlev.

Hmm, maybe because optical media drives uses another type of filesystem?

The programmer can control the cursor shape, maybe use something like this :mt_dup: ?

Well it is a sort of definition what a "working folder" is and how a read only working folder resp. read only files within a read only folder should be handled. The only "work" you can do with a read only folder or read only file is to read them.
In general the "working folder" is the folder you can reach resp set by the CD change directory command, where you can look into with the DIR . command.

Adding a plus symbol to the cursor shape is a feature of the underlying Windows drag and drop system.
There is a similar proceeding with the cursor symbol when dragging files (adding) onto a zip archive resp. pressing shift when dragging (moving).
Dragging a file from folder to a zip archive is not a moving process, but a multiplying process, hence the plus symbol. Same thoughts are valid for optical read only media.

DD.20090811.1615.CEST

Hmm, maybe because optical media drives uses another type of filesystem?

I think that makes no difference through the OS API that Mp3tag is using.

Well it is a sort of definition what a "working folder" is ... In general the
"working folder" is the folder you can reach resp set by the CD change directory command

That's how I took it i.e. what Mp3tag calles "Current directory".

Adding a plus symbol to the cursor shape is a feature of the underlying
Windows drag and drop system.

Sure, but it is under control of the receiving apop - as you can see in the case of drag from read-writable drive to Mp3tag.

Dragging a file from folder to a zip archive is not a moving process,
but a multiplying process, hence the plus symbol.

Indeed Explorer uses plus symbol to show effect on source. But Mp3tag uses it to show effect on destination.

I am sure the reported issue is due to a flaw in Mp3tag's interpretation of the drag and drop notification. And it would take little time for Florian to find and fix it.

The drag and drop action is determined by a so-called drop effect which can be either move or copy. In case the user presses the Ctrl key, the drop effect is changed from the default move to copy.

Windows overwrites the drop effect reported by the application for read-only media to always be copy. Since Mp3tag performs the action based on the reported drop effect, files are always added from DVDs.

Edit: I certainly can workaround this by evaluating keyboard state, but still, the drop icon would be non-consistent with Mp3tag's behaviour then.

I don't think this has do to with read-only media.
It's because you are dragging a drive letter and you cannot move drive letters / partitions with the explorer.
When you drag a folder from a dvd it comes as move operation to Mp3tag.

Windows overwrites the drop effect reported by the application for read-only media to
always be copy. Since Mp3tag performs the action based on the reported drop effect,
files are always added from DVDs.

Whoops! An Mp3tag design logic error, surely. Windows drop effect refers to the effect on the source ('+' = source files left in place i.e. copy) whereas Mp3tag drop effect refers to the effect on the destination ('+' = destination files left in place, i.e. add). This mismatch means Mp3tag cannot use the Window drop mode as the Mp3tag drop mode.

I certainly can workaround this by evaluating keyboard state

I think that's essential.

but still, the drop icon would be non-consistent with Mp3tag's behaviour then.

Howabout Mp3tag change the drop icon?

This should now be working with Mp3tag v2.44e Development Build.

Kind regards,
Florian

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.