[F] Problem removing ID3v2 tags from files

bug-fixed

I was removing all ID3v2 tags from my MP3 files and came upon a problem. Out of 2463 total files, mp3tag v2.33a was only able to remove the tags from 2424 of them. The error was 'File "????" could not be opened for writing'. Upon further checking, all of the files that generated the error were over 16437 KB in size. I seem to remember something about all files less than 16 MB in size, if possible, were read into memory to speed things up. I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem but I would appreciate someone seeing if they can duplicate this error. Thanks.

Jerry Stringer

Hello Jerry,

I can remove ID3v2 tags without problems from a ~40MB MP3 file here.

Can you upload one of the files and tell me your settings at Options > Tags > Mpeg?

Best regards,
~ Florian

Hi,
Here are the settings you've requested:

Read : ID3v1 checked
Write : ID3v1 checked
Remove : ID3v2 checked

Thanks,
Jerry

Sorry, but this works flawlessy here :unsure:

Maybe you can upload or send me one of the files?

Best regards,
~ Florian

Florian,
Thank you so much for your offer of help but I'm out of luck. I tried twice to send it in a post as an attachment before I saw the error stating the file is too large. I also can't send a file over 10 MB in size from any of my email accounts. I'm sorry to have bothered you.
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I've just tried to remove the ID3v2 tag from the file you've provided and it worked without problems.

Another question: how much space is left on the device where the file was stored and on your Windows partition?

Best regards,
~ Florian

Hi Florian,
I have moved the file from the MP3 portable player to my computer. The player had 8 GB free and my computer has over 20 GB free. My computer has 1 GB of RAM. I am running Windows 2000 Workstation.

Jerry

Sorry, but I'm really unable to reproduce and find the error you've reported. I'll keep this topic open in case another user has noticed the same or a similar problem.

Best regards,
~ Florian