[F] Selection wrong after changing sort-key data and then undoing

This isssue is similar to Sort with selected files gives strange results and 2.44f: Filter result wrong after new sort, but is still present in 2.44h.

After changing data in one field, and then undoing that change (Ctrl-Z) the screen scrolls and new, unrelated files become selected.

I think that the problem occurs when one field (e.g. Title) has its sort order specified (using "Customise Columns..." and "Sort On") to depend on a different field (e.g. TitleSortOrder).

The problem seems to arise in cases where, in this example, "Title" is selected as the currently-active sort field, several files are selected and the data in their "TitleSortOrder" field is changed so as to make them out of sort order. No re-sort occurs immediately, but following this with an "Undo" triggers a re-sort, but the the file selection changes. However, there is some other factor involved, or I've got some part of it wrong, because I haven't been able to reproduce it by doing only these steps.

Sorry I don't have a precise step by step method of reproducing it, but I've seen it happen "in the wild" twice, and I was able to trigger it deliberately twice immediately after that. When I tried to pin it down, however, it stopped happening once I'd specified a different sort column, then the first one again.

As far as I can tell, the displayed data is itself correct, it's only the selection status that changes, so it's not quite as critical as some of the other "undo-related" issues.

Sorry this is a little vague - there may or may not be enough information here to identify the issue in the code. I'll post more details as/if I find them.

Regards,

gvm

(BTW, in case anyone thinks I'm doing a lot of "undo" operations - it's not just that I make a lot of mistakes - I'm testing out some Action Groups for manipulating names. I'll release them when they're done. On the other hand, I do make a lot of mistakes, too... )

(Keep up the good work, Florian!)

I haven't reproduced it yet, but the more I think about it the more irritating I find the sorting after undo.

What do you think?

Do you mean that a sort is always triggered after an undo operation?

If that's what you're saying, and you think that it might be connected to this, then removing it does seem worth trying. I guess that the only time that it would be worth having would be when you're undoing an action that is known to have changed the sort order.

Regards,

gvm

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.