[F] "Tool" gets blank on Ogg Opus

This might not be a bug - but sure is odd.

Changes to tags in Ogg Opus makes the "Tool" field (shown in for example foobar2000) blank. Before edits to the file in mp3tag v2.58, this field shows
"Tool: libopus 1.1"
and after edits it shows
"Tool: "
in foobar2000.

Checking file with MediaInfo before edits in mp3tag v2.58 shows
"Writing library : libopus 1.1"
and after edits this line is gone.

Is it mp3tag that removes this information or what is going on?
I use it to keep track.

When I look into an ogg file using foobar, properties dialog, section "General", there is a key "Tool", having a value, for example "Xiphophorus libVorbis I 20010813".
This same value is shown in Mp3tag file properties dialog, in the group "Vorbis", key "Version".
Adding a tag-field by Mp3tag does not change that technical info, showing in both applications.

DD.20140225.1657.CET

All right.

But this was regarding mp3tag and Opus (libopus 1.1) that somewhere seems to not get along.

Thanks for the info that mp3tag does not change "technical info". Can that explain how the info goes away, like it is inserted where it is not supposed to be in the first place etc..?

edit:

MediaInfo on .opus-file before mp3tag edits show:
Writing application : opusenc from opus-tools 0.1.8
Writing library : libopus 1.1

MediaInfo on .opus-file after mp3tag edits show:
...........those lines are gone.

When I look into an "opusenc.exe" encoded ".opus" file, ...

... using foobar:

• properties dialog, section "General", there is a key "Tool", having a value "libopus 1.1".
    The "opusenc.exe" application has added metadata:
    "ENCODER=opusenc from opus-tools 0.1.8".

... using Mp3tag:

• in file properties dialog, in the group "Vorbis", key "Version", displays "Ogg Opus 1";
  • dialog "Extended Tags..." displays the same metadata:
    "ENCODER=opusenc from opus-tools 0.1.8".

Then I have added one tag-field "ARTIST=Artist", using Mp3tag.

After restarting Mp3tag ...
... in file properties dialog, in the group "Vorbis", key "Version", displays "Ogg Opus 1".

After restarting foobar ...
... in properties dialog, section "General", the key "Tool" is empty.

This behaviour may point to a change in the file structure by Mp3tag, when adding a VORBIS tag-field to the opus file, which seems not be compatible with other applications.

DD.20140225.1825.CET

Thank you Detlev.

I have now also tried to change/add/remove some tags on a .opus-file using Foobar2000, and that did not "blank out" the previously discussed lines - like mp3tag does.

So, I am pretty sure that mp3tag is doing something naughty with the Opus-files.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.