Feature Enhancement Requests

Hello,

I have just found MP3Tag, having previously been a long term user of MP3Tag/Studio. Recently however, I have started to use a tag (TCMP - ITUNESCOMPILATION) that MP3TS does not support; I'm pleased to find that MP3Tag does support TCMP, and so far I am very impressed by the product!

However, I have a couple of feature requests (that MP3TS does provide) that I would be grateful if you would please consider supporting.

1. Enhancement request: Progress Indicator for "Convert | Text File - Tag"

When you kick off this process, it kind of disappears into a black hole! I can tell that its working from the Windows Task Manager, but MP3Tag itself doesn't give much indication - the window just goes blank. It would be nice if the window did retain context and displayed a progress bar indicating percentage complete.

1. Enhancement request: Error Handling on "Convert | Text File - Tag"

Re 1, above, another indication that the process is actually working comes when it kicks up an error. So far, I've only seen one error (can't remember the exact wording) which popped up when the file to be tagged did not exist. It would be nice to have an 'ignore errors' option, so that this minor error did not interrupt processing, and just carried on, perhaps with a summary of errors produced at the end.

1. Enhancement request: Run "Convert | Text File - Tag" without need to load and select files

Currently, this function:
a) is disabled until a folder is loaded
b) is disabled until files are selected in the loaded directory(ies)
c) requires the files to be tagged to be selected.

Given that the full pathname can be provided in the input text file, I would like to be able to execute the process without having to first load the relevant directories and select the files.

1. New feature request: "Convert | Text File - Filename"

I would like to be able to rename files based upon an input text file, which would be in the format of

%old filename path% / %new filename path%

Thanks for reading, and I would appreciate consideration of these features for a future release. Keep up the good work!

Cheers
D2K

1. Enhancement request: Progress Indicator for "Convert | Text File - Tag"

Agreed. An odd isolated omission.

1. Enhancement request: Run "Convert | Text File - Tag" without need to load and select files
    Given that the full pathname can be provided in the input text file

How so?

1. New feature request: "Convert | Text File - Filename"

Meanwhile, you can the same by a combination of Text file - Tag and Format Value: filename.

I have found the progress bar in mp3tag to be inconsistent. For example if you remove all tags from a large number of files a progress bar is displayed. If afterwards you undo this action no progress bar is displayed. It would be nice to alway have a progress bar for operations.

Also I just updated to 2.39n and I think the "redesigned dialog for Tag Sources" is a welcome improvement although I would like a context menu to be available when right clicking on the album cover art picture instead of having to go into the "utils".

It would be nice to alway have a progress bar for operations.

Very much agreed. And it would be nice if the progress bar progressed through the whole operation, rather than as currently showing progress only for the first part of a multi-part operioan such as dragging in multiple directories.

Sample input file line:
D:\MP3 M 01a\M - Uber DLs##1001\Alanis Morissette - 1995 - Jagged Little Pill\01 - All I Really Want.mp3|Alanis Morissette|Jagged Little Pill|1995|1|All I Really Want|Rock|Alanis Morissette|||0

Matching "Convert | Text File - Tag" Format String:
%_path%|%artist%|%album%|%year%|%track%|%title%|%genre%|%BAND%|%COMPOSER%|%PUBLISHER%|%ITUNESCOMPILATION%

Cheers
D2K

Ah.. ambitious! :wink:

To read %path% as an index would defy the existing semantics, wherein %path% would be written.

I think it would be a great feature, but better outside Text file - Tag.

In 2.39n the "redesigned dialog for Tag Sources" dialog box does not support the Ctrl + A Select all shortcut, would be nice to see this included in the next release.

Why would you want to select all (whatever it is)?

1. It is included in the right click context menu so the developer must have thought it useful

2. If for example I am using freedb to automatically tag my files but I want to delete the contents of the comments tag select all is a very useful feature (especially since the "Adjust Tag Information" part of the "Tag Sources" dialog is a fixed size and it is not uncommon for the comment to be larger than the box) .

3. All the other standard Windows shortcuts work eg: Ctrl+C for copy, Ctrl+V for paste but just not Ctrl+A.

4. Because it would take 2 minutes to implement and would make mp3tag that little bit more user friendly