[Feature Req.] Adding incrementing number to duplicate tracks : (2), (3), (4)

Hello

Years ago I talk about this problem when you have different bad named tracks who are the same track, so you can't rename them, only the first one, after that mp3tag refuse to rename them and send an error for all the other files : "can't rename, file already exist", so you end with :

Correct artist - Correct name.mp3
random stuf.mp3
bad name.mp3
artist without track name.mp3
whatever.mp3

One good solution was using a Windows similar feature when this happen, adding incremental number at the end of the file, which give :

Correct artist - Correct name.mp3
Correct artist - Correct name (2).mp3
Correct artist - Correct name (3).mp3
Correct artist - Correct name (4).mp3
Correct artist - Correct name (5).mp3

This way you can now compare them easily and see which one you keep

I talk with you (the dev) years ago and you add this feature to mp3tag and it was fantastic :heart_eyes:
But I don't know why but you end to delete this feature in the following update and now it doesn't work any more

Can you please give it to us again / enable it again? (at least allow us to activate it in the option)
If not could you please give me the name of the build with this feature, so I can't downgrade to it.

Regards

This is no new idea.
See e.g. this thread from 2010.

The general problem I see: how can it happen that you end up with duplicate names in the same folder?
If you want to get around it, you can add %_counter% to each filename an then remove it if you don't need it any more. Or revise your neaming scheme so that it does not lead to duplicate filenames.

The bad thing with this : %_counter%, is that you will add the number 1 to ANY single file which end in a nightmare whit all your single files bad tagged like :

Correct artist - Correct name 1.mp3
Another artist - Another name 1.mp3
Artist - Track 1.mp3

"The general problem I see: how can it happen that you end up with duplicate names in the same folder?"

Simply download music from different sources and it happen ALL the time.

Btw it haves been added by Florian in a build years ago after I tell him if this feature can be added.
I just don't remember the build number either way I would have downgrade to it and it would have being fine.

Well, at least not before 2010 - and also not afterwards, I think.

What is bad about the %_counter% (which is a number) and an automatically added number?
The good thing about the manually added number is: you can define a unique separator between the real filename and the added number and then remove that number in the same action group in which you rename the file.
Or you do it in a second step with Converter>Tag-Tag.
So check your workflow and you will find that you do not really need it.

Well, at least not before 2010 - and also not afterwards, I think.

It was 3 to 5 years ago or something, so after 2010

What is bad about the %_counter% (which is a number) and an automatically added number?

The bad thing with this : %_counter%, is that you will add the number 1 to ANY single file which end in a nightmare whit all your single files bad tagged like :

Correct artist - Correct name 1.mp3
Another artist - Another name 1.mp3
Artist - Track 1.mp3

We need to have (2) or more AFTER the first file, we don't want single file to have " 1 " added to the name for no reason, only duped file to have (2), and (3) and else after the first one

This is only true if you don't do it with an action group.
Also, I think that you did not consider that

I would not simply add "(1)" or "(%_counter%)" but "_xyxy %_counter%" and then, with another action remove that very string again.
Like that you end up with a lot of files that do not have any "_xyxy 99" and only keep the ones that would lead to duplicate names.
it is then, BTW very easy to filter for these files and see whether they could get a better, not yet existing name.
I am not sure about the ascending number for one particular filename.
I assume that files that may lead to duplicate names are scattered more or less randomly across the selected files plus it may be possible that there are already files with such a numerical amendment from previous sessions.
So MP3tag would have to try n times to find a free number ... very time consuming, I would think.
Or to cut it short: there are a number of ways to get unique filenames but is not automatic.