Feature Request - "Fill Down"

Hallo MP3Tag developers. Thanks for the great software. :slight_smile:

I have a small suggestion that I've always thought would be really useful.

Some of the tags, like Album or Artist, are the same for all the tracks on a CD.
It would be very good if it was possible to enter the Album tag for the first track, and then right click on it and select "Fill Down" from the pop-up menu, so that the rest of the tracks get the same Album Tag. Kind of like you do in spreadsheets.

Well thanks again for the software.

Bye.

Hello Dan,

First of all, thanks for the compliment - I am sure Florian will be happy. :slight_smile:

Now let me help you with your problem... MP3Tag is already capabile of editing multiple files. All you have to do is load the directory containing the files you would like to edit, mark them (as many as you want) and change the text for the Album field. By selecting "< keep >" on the other fields, only the Album information will be changed. Using "< blank >" will blank (erase) the fields.

Regards,
Sebastian

PS: Notice that the "< keep >" and "< blank >" variables are available from the drop down lists of the fields.

Oh yeah! That works great. Thanks. :slight_smile:

The only other thing I can think of to add is an auto track number feature. But I think somebody already suggested that.

Thanks again.

Well, I have good news for you again. :smiley:

Tools -> Auto-numbering wizard

(Or you could press CTRL+K)

Regards,
Sebastian

Oh dear. I'm normally very good at not asking for things that are already there. Oops! :unsure:
Anyway, it works very well. Thanks.

OK, the only possible thing I can think of to suggest then is a tag copy feature. I have a lot of the same CD's on my hard drive in both MP3 and Vorbis format. It would save time if there was some way to do the tags for the MP3's and then copy them to the Vorbis files. That might be a bit hard to implement though I suppose.

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Dan,

Just load the MP3 files to Mp3tag and select all files using the Ctrl+A hotkey. By pressing the Ctrl+C hotkey, Mp3tag copies all tags to the clipboard.

After that, load the corresponding OGG files, select all of them and paste the tags into the files with the Ctrl+V hotkey. :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!

With best regards,
~ Florian

Wow! That's saved me loads of time. :slight_smile:

Is there anything MP3Tag can't do? Can it wake me up in the morning with a cup of tea? :rolleyes:

I'm working on it :smiley:

~ Florian

As soon as you code the "cup of tea feature", I'd like to see an option for it to alternate between Earl Grey and Irish Breakfast, black, no sugar :wink:

I'm still happily tagging Speex files, by the way. (The Edgar Alan Poe collection is coming along quite nicely :wink: