Feature Request - Load files from playlist

I haven't seen any discussion on this one. I was working on a custom playlist one day that had files scattered about the directory structure. Mp3 players can load files from a playlist I thought, but I don't see that Mp3tag can do that. Wouldn't it be nice if it had that functionality then I wouldn't have to hop around to all these directories to load these and many other unwanted files.

You can rightclick on a playlist and load it in Mp3tag or drag it in Mp3tag.

Yes you can, but it never occurred to me to try that because there is no option to load a playlist on the FILE menu. That seems inconsistent since options to generate lists are there.

My first attempt to load an M3U uncovered a bug. It won't load from a remote directory without a full drive and pathname, but it should work without a drive letter if the files and playlist are on the same drive. This is probably a significant bug, because WINAMP does not generate drive letters when you save an M3U to the same drive.

Please try to be a little bit more specific: what is a "remote directory" and what are the contents of the playlist?

~ Florian

By remote directory, I mean the playlist is not in the same directory as the MP3 files. Here is the file that didn't work:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:238,Dobie Gray - Drift Away - 01
\Downloads\Axel\01 - Dobie Gray - Drift Away.mp3
#EXTINF:547,Lynard Skynard - Freebird - 02
\Downloads\Axel\02 - Lynard Skynard - Freebird.mp3
#EXTINF:266,Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Three Steps - 03
\Downloads\Axel\03 - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Three Steps.mp3

This one worked fine:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:238,Dobie Gray - Drift Away - 01
C:\Downloads\Axel\01 - Dobie Gray - Drift Away.mp3
#EXTINF:547,Lynard Skynard - Freebird - 02
C:\Downloads\Axel\02 - Lynard Skynard - Freebird.mp3
#EXTINF:266,Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Three Steps - 03
C:\Downloads\Axel\03 - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gimme Three Steps.mp3

Yet a drive letter should be optional since the playlist was saved in C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Mp3.

Here is my workaround for now:

SUBST G: C:\PLAYLIST

QUOTE (Rijkstra @ May 24 2004, 06:18 PM)

By remote directory, I mean the playlist is not in the same directory as the MP3 files. Here is the file that didn't work:

Thanks for the detailed description.

I'll try to improve my playlist parser to eat those "filenames" too :wink:

Regards,
~ Florian

Rijkstra,

I've just thought a little bit about it and I think I won't make Mp3tag to read those playlists.

If the playlist doesn't contain entries with full drive and path information, the entries are relative to the playlist directory and every application that handles playlists should assume that.

If the relative filenames in the playlist and the path of the playlist don't resolve to a valid and existing filename, the playlist consists of dead entries and the contents won't be listed.

Best regards,
~ Florian

I very much disagree. Winamp is using conventional drive/path/filename logic. You are desiring that every app use relative filename logic only. The Windows communtity is not going to bend to your definition, so why fight it? In this case the paths are different all the way to root, so relative paths don't apply even though an initial ".." should be ignored, being equivalent to root. I am using Winamp v5.01. There is no way to configure playlists to save paths in a particular way. I have no quarrel with the way Winamp is doing it! It appears that to use Mp3tag in this way my drive substitution workaround will have to remain in place when I save playlists from Winamp, more in tune with Windows conventions than Mp3tag in other ways as well. I suppose they would have to be to have achieved the level of success they have.

This is my second thread decrying Mp3tag and Windows conventions. Other than that Mp3tag is a great program, but it is destined to ever draw criticism from other programmers for not following those long-held conventions.

Rijkstra,

please try to create a Playlist with the current WinAmp 5.03a. I failed to produce playlists with initial '' using this version.

Regards,
~ Florian

IIRC, older Winamp versions used to build the relative paths with a leading back-slash when the playlist file was stored directly on the root (C:\Playlst.m3u).

I just upgraded to v5.03a and I still have the initial '' as in my sample. All the paths it saves on my system start either at root or a subdirectory. I can't get it to save relative paths going up and back down even when very appropriate. Could it be the operating system? I'm running WinME on this machine. There still are never any drive letters when saving to the same drive. What happens when you save the playlist to a directory that differs from the mp3s all the way back to root? That and the case of mp3s in a subdirectory are the only ones where '..' preceded paths are inappropriate. Of course there is no path at all when files and playlist are in the same directory.

I may not have the specifics exactly right, but I believe the problem is that .m3u playlists store relative paths while .pls playlists store actual paths.

I use use .m3u relative paths, it sounds like Mp3tag can load files this way. Is that correct?

Rijkstra,

I can build a playlist in the format you've described with the current WinAMP 5.03a and will try to adjust the playlist parser.

Best regards,
~ Florian

Rijkstra,

the latest Development Build should read the playlist now.

Best regards,
~ Florian

Florian,

Indeed it does! I have found a new use for playlists. Correct me if I am wrong, but Mp3tag has no way to avoid loading subdirectories when only the current directory is desired. That situation comes up a lot in my DOWNLOAD directory where all the completed work is in subdirectories and I only want to load the current directory. I just use a batch file to create a limiting list.

DIR /B *.mp3|SORT>NoSubs.m3u

Thanks for the fixes and the new choices on the file menu.

Rijkstra, you can switch off loading subdirs via Ctrl+D (if thats what you mean)

Florian, you forgot to translate the new option at "Datei-Load Playlist" in the german version.

Thanks, I'll fix that to the next release :slight_smile:

Yes, CTRL+D works. I didn't look there because I rarely use CTRL+D. The recently accessed directories list doesn't remember that I didn't load subs the last time. Also right-clicking doesn't give one a choice either. Even though CTRL+D works, it's still faster to generate a playlist via batch file in the current directory and load from it if that's where you happen to be working.