Feature Request: Multiple Instance

Periodically, I need to handle a couple of different instances of MP3TAG...I might be working on my main collection, while working on a temporary collection. Would it be possible to enable the ability to have multiple instances of MP3TAG running? I'm using Windows 10. Thanks!

2 Likes

There are so many threads that deal with this idea.
Please join the existing discussions if there is anything new that you can contribute.

or here:

or here:

I apologize for not searching first. I guess it's a hard no.

The linked threads also offer a number of alternative proceedings to see files from different folders or with different attributes that one may have wanted to see in 2 separate windows of MP3tag.
So it may be worthwhile to dig into those threads.

My main problem is that I have 2 drives on which I store my music...the first is my "main", which is the definitive set of files; the second is a portable drive that I take to work with me. I'd like to be able to work with both drive simultaneously to keep them in sync.

Isn't then a file syncing program the better approach? You would have to do the tagging only once and then transfer only the modified files to the external drive.

Or: you edit the main files first, then copy the tags, select the external files next and paste the tags - this should be possible with drag&drop of files from the external drive or filtering the whole list.
But all these techniques are described in the threads that discuss multiple instances (if there is a discussion and not just the request).

I'll admit it's not a huge issue - it's mainly a problem when I make a mass change to my tagging system. Like I recently decided to add the release date to the Date field. I have almost 700,000 files, and it just seemed inefficient to update the tags on the main drive, and then copy everything to the second drive. I could have easily updated both drives at the same time (I use the date as part of my file system).

There have been several times when I've though it would be more efficient to use MP3TAG as not only a tagging system, but also a file management system to ensure things stay in sync.

Especially with that many files and such a huge re-work I would consider the use of a syncing tool. Make the changes on the faster internal drive first, then sync with the slower external one after all the changes have been applied.
I am not sure, though, if MP3tag can handle that many files in 1 go, even with the library switched on.
Or load all the files, filter for those that have not yet got the modification and then run the action.

The program handles things fine - it just takes a long time to load all the files (usually around an hour).

My work around has been to attach my main drive to the computer upstairs and then use google remote desktop to log into it. Unfortunately, that computer is old and tends to crash easily.

I can attach both drives to my main downstairs computer without issue...but I cannot then load both into an instance of MP3TAG.

I'm really meticulous about my file system, and so everything stays synchronized unless I find an issue or make mass changes.

Do you know that you can load both folder(drives) by loading the first and then add your second, with the the menue "Add" or by dragging it from the explorer with pressing CTRL?
But as Ohrenkino wrote:
Even with an activated library-function in Mp3Tag 1,4 million files are probably too much, especially if your files have covers.

I think that's not a good solution...individual files would be duplicated, and I'd have to search through a huge list to find what I need to change. I'd rather do a side-by-side comparison of each comparable directory.

Even though I do not see how individual files should get duplicated, the fact remains that there is currently just a single instance of MP3tag possible for the time being.
So you may think of other ways to deal with your problem. There have been suggestions and these are suggestions only - you have to find out how good they may suit you and to what extent you are willing to use them.

Why do not you just copy the main set of files to the secondary drive every time you make a lot of changes - and treat it as making a backup of your work?

Or to be specific and addressing the sync issue, why not just use a portable drive as the main one and reduce the function of the now main one to being a backup drive? Is the issue the huge number of files - thus the cost of drive space?