Fill tags from an own created temporary tag

Hi I need help,
Background:
I stored most relevant tags in a dedicated file and loaded it to a temporary tag. From there I want to fill the original tag fields; which does not work with any tried format.

Situation: mp3tag - Mac Version
Loaded temporary tag field name: _temp1
After file import it looks like:
Bello e impossibile###;###Gianna Nannini###;###Playback All###;###Gianna Nannini###;######;######;###
###;######;###PB/REC###;######;######;######;######;###2023-06-11###;######;######;###4:52

Used tag structure is:
%TITLE%###;###%ARTIST%###;###%ALBUM%###;###%ALBUMARTIST%###;###%GENRE%###;###%LANGUAGE%###;###%MOOD%###;###%BPM%###;###%COMMENT%###;###%YEAR%###;###%GEMA_ISWC%###;###%GEMA_WERKNR%###;###%COMPOSER%###;###%RELEASETIME%###;###%INVOLVEDPEOPLE%###;###%PUBLISHER%###;###%_length%

Tired two action options which both failed:
A) Tag field formatting (Tag-Feld formatieren)
Field/Feld: _temp1
Format: %TITLE%###;###%ARTIST%###;###%ALBUM%###;###%ALBUMARTIST%###;###%GENRE%###;###%LANGUAGE%###;###%MOOD%###;###%BPM%###;###%COMMENT%###;###%YEAR%###;###%GEMA_ISWC%###;###%GEMA_WERKNR%###;###%COMPOSER%###;###%RELEASETIME%###;###%INVOLVEDPEOPLE%###;###%PUBLISHER%###;###%_length%

B) Tag fields import (Tag-Felder importieren)
Sourceformat/Quellformat: _temp1. or %_temp1% (both don't work)
Formatting string/Formatstring:
%TITLE%###;###%ARTIST%###;###%ALBUM%###;###%ALBUMARTIST%###;###%GENRE%###;###%LANGUAGE%###;###%MOOD%###;###%BPM%###;###%COMMENT%###;###%YEAR%###;###%GEMA_ISWC%###;###%GEMA_WERKNR%###;###%COMPOSER%###;###%RELEASETIME%###;###%INVOLVEDPEOPLE%###;###%PUBLISHER%###;###%_length%

Any idea what's going wrong?

if this is the contents of _TEMP1

then an action of the type "Import tag fields" should work with the
Source: %_temp1%
Target: %title%###;###%artist%###;###%album%###;###%albumartist%###;######;######;### ###;######;###%comment%###;######;######;######;######;###%releasetime%###;######;######;###%dummy%

Notes: you cannot import empty fields, you cannot import the length property.

How Do I need to handle tags when they are optional?
Can I specify them and they just do not get filled? Or is the entire action then breaking?

It breaks if the target pattern does not match the source data.
AFAIK you would have to supply some (dummy) data for each field that you mention in the pattern. You could delete that dummy data with a second set of actions.

Edit: to save you the bother of importing all _TEMP1 data again, you could use as
Source: $replace(%_temp1%,######,###==###)
And then use the original target pattern.
This would fill all previously unsupplied fields with ==

The should be easy to find and remove.

Fille the temp tag now with 000 as dummy entry for empty tags.

Looks like

Bello e impossibile###;###Gianna Nannini###;###Playback All###;###Gianna Nannini###;###Italo Pop###;###ita###;###000###;###000###;###PB/REC###;###1986###;###T-005.001.614-2###;###1993829-001###;###NANNINI, GIANNA###;###2023-06-21###;###000###;###GNG MUSICA SRL###;###4:53

Import pattern I used is (excluded length as dummy)
%TITLE%###;###%ARTIST%###;###%ALBUM%###;###%ALBUMARTIST%###;###%GENRE%###;###%LANGUAGE%###;###%MOOD%###;###%BPM%###;###%COMMENT%###;###%YEAR%###;###%GEMA_ISWC%###;###%GEMA_WERKNR%###;###%COMPOSER%###;###%RELEASETIME%###;###%INVOLVEDPEOPLE%###;###%PUBLISHER%###;###%DUMMY%

Would have expected to see now the tags where empty as 000, but still they are empty ( or prefilled).

Any idea to test?

You could rename a file and test the pattern with Convert>Filename-Tag

Thanks for the shortcut "replace" is the smarter solution rather thanediting the files and place a dummy entry. Great.

Tested it from filename
Bello e impossibile;Gianna Nannini;Italo Pop;ita; (PB).aif
And used pattern
%TITLE%;%ARTIST%;%GENRE%;%LANGUAGE%; (PB)

This worked out and Genre and Language next to title and artist were filled.

How to check there is no bug?

I don't understand ... where do you suspect a bug?

So filling Genre and Language imported from filename proofs that it is in general possible.
But using my combined temp tag its seems not being possible. Assumed the tag import should work for this (when empty tags are somehow dummy filled) there seems to be a bigger problem...

Bello e impossibile Gianna Nannini Playback All Gianna Nannini Italo Pop ita 000 000 PB/REC 1986 T-005.001.614-2 1993829-001 NANNINI, GIANNA 2023-06-21 000 GNG MUSICA SRL 4:53
%TITLE% %ARTIST% %ALBUM% %ALBUMARTIST% %GENRE% %LANGUAGE% %MOOD% %BPM% %COMMENT% %YEAR% %GEMA_ISWC% %GEMA_WERKNR% %COMPOSER% %RELEASETIME% %INVOLVEDPEOPLE% %PUBLISHER% %DUMMY%

I transformed the sample data into a table to see if there is anything not matching.
As you can see: it does.
So it would be up to you to compare the data in the files with the pattern.

Just removed entire logic of actions and temp tag.
Recreated it from scratch with a new name TAGDATA.
Now all is fine and running.
Used your logic for the dummy tags which also work now fine.
Is there a smart way to change in one step relevant tags with dummy entry of ==?

An Action of the type "Replace" should have _ALL as pseudo-field.
Search in _ALL for == and replace it with nothing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.