Filter album art by resolution?

I've checked the documentation and know you can check for missing album art (%_covers% IS "") and images of specific filesizes (%_cover_size% GREATER 20480), but is there any way to filter through album art according to the image's resolution?

Since I got a device with a larger screen, I'm trying to replace my 500x500 artwork with 600x600+ images. The filesize filter isn't the best fit for the job since simple 600x600 jpegs could look fine at say 18 KB, so it's not the ideal filter for what I'd like to do.

No.
BTW: the resolution is how many dots there are per area- very often the "dpi" is used. A computer screen has something in the range of 72 to 90 dots per inch, a laser printout very oftern 300 dpi.l

I think you are referring to the dimensions ... but I know what you meant and there is no such tag/field/data that can be used for filtering.

But perhaps: if you exported the covers from your files, start a search in WIndows explorer for all the jpgs.
You can then let Windows Explorer show a column with the dimensionsto let you determine the ones that need to be replaced. Afterwards you can import the replaced coverart.

I don't think it's possible to extract covers from a selection of multiple files with varying album art.

Would it be trivial for Florian to add the ability to filter by image dimensions? Mp3tag clearly knows the dimensions of the album art in the side panel, so I'd hope there's no reason why a future feature like this would be a bad idea...

Did you have a look at the action "export cover art" - i think it does exactly that: export the bitmap from each selected file into the respective folder.
It is also possible to create a bitmap file for each cover in each file if you tick the option to create duplicates.
You can specify a name that is either a standard name (like folder.jpg) or one that consists of variables and literals, e.g. %album%.jpg.

Also, you can import bitmaps from the folders, also by specifiying either a literal name or one that gets constructed from the contents of variables.
So, what do you think?