First use of MP3tag

Hello

I am a first time user of MP3TAG. I cannot see any of the files I selected in a given folder. Subfolder option is selected. Nothing appears in the window.

Thank you for your help

Can you please provide a screenshot of both Mp3tag and Windows Explorer showing this directory?

Kind regards,
Florian

That window doesn't show files. You have to know which folder contains music files. Select a folder and click OK, and you should then see the files in Mp3tags main window.

Like me you may find it easier to load files into Mp3tag using Windows Explorer - drag and drop files or folders.

Thank you Florian for the answer

Attached are the screenshots requested. The folder contains Wav files. I just cannot see them in MP3tag.

Hopfully this will provide you some clue about the issue

Regards

Thierry

MP3tag.doc (141 KB)

Mp3tag only supports formats that can contain metadata/tags natively. And WAV doesn't belong to this group so you can't handle them (although some software embeds metadata into them, but that's not standard)
Supported file types (or better extensions) are:
*.aac; *.ape; *.apl; *.asf; *.flac; *.mp+; *.mp1; *.mp2; *.mp3; *.mp4; *.m4a; *.m4b; *.mpc; *.ogg; *.ofr; *.ofs; *.spx; *.tak; *.tta; *.wma; *.wv;

See also the main site:
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/
There's a list of supported file types.

Thank you very much!

Which audio format would you recommend? I use Ubuntu, Windows and I have as well a Archos player
And which software should I use to convert to the recommended format

Kind regards

Thierry

When you want to use a lossless lossy format, I would recommend Ogg Vorbis. This is much better than MP3 but I don't know if your Archos player supports it. But as I know there is the Rockbox-firmware for some Archos players, which supports this and other formats.

When you want a lossless format (like wavs but still with smaller file size), you can choose between formats like APE, WavPack and FLAC (the three most popular ones). It actually doesn't care which one you choose but you may stick to FLAC.

To convert files in WIndows I would choose either Mediacoder (http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/) which is totally free but still contains some bugs. An alternative would be dBPowerAmp, for which you can also install a lot of codecs (even RealAudio!) and then you can convert between the several formats. But some features of it are limited to a 30-day-trial.

But maybe you should say first which Archos player you use and which players you use under Ubuntu and Windows? :wink:

EDIT: Corrected lossless to lossy, as Ogg Vorbis is lossy. :rolleyes:

I suppose you've meant lossy here :rolleyes:

Ahem, yes. :slight_smile:

SquallLeonhart38 wrote:

When you want a lossless format (like wavs but still with smaller file size),
you can choose between formats like APE, WavPack and FLAC (the three
most popular ones).

Actually the most popular is WMA, and last time I looked the Archos players in question didn't support any of the three formats you suggested.

It actually doesn't care which one you choose but you may stick to FLAC.

FLAC support on portable players is very weak. Cigogne, check first.

The support of FLAC is weak, that's true but since he uses an Archos there may be the chance that he can use and wants to use the Rockbox-firmware. :slight_smile:

When I would own one of the mentioned players on there, I would use it immediately.