FLAC compression column

Hi! Any way to add "FLAC compression" column?

The reference FLAC encoder doesn't store the compression level in the metadata, so it's not required.

Some programs/GUI put the compression level in a tag (e.g. "Comment" or "Encoder Settings"), but since there's no standard it's a hit-and-miss thing.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity: what would be the point of having that information? How it can be used and for what?

A lossless file is a lossless file. Even if I will go with a stream of encoding like WAV > FLAC > TTA > WV > WAV, the end result file will be the same as that in the beginning. Those intermediary files will do have a different size, but aside from issued about handling of those files by software / hardware- what gives?

[This will get a little of topic now - but it will show how futile is taking care of how much a FLAC is compressed because of another factor]

But: if I take that introduction WAV and make something like a 100% louder version of it and then convert it [that version that is louder] to any of those lossless formats- then these files will take more space on the drive. And also I make that first WAV and make it quieter by 50%, then the lossless formats made from it will take less space

And here is where it gets really interesting: the WAV files will stay the same size. That is logical. Also lossy formats like MP3 or OGG will have the same size, no matter if the WAV from which there will be crated will be the original one, volumed up to 200% or lowered to 50%. That is also logical. But if I will take that lowered in volume file and convert it from lossless format back to WAV and then increase its volume back to the original level- all the information will be there [so says to me the editor in a form of an amplitude waveform and various spectrograms]. And that is not quite logical to me, because these FLACs / TTAa / WVs take space according to the amount of information they have- and yet they do store all the information, even if they are quieter. And yes I know that this is how those formats works, although I do not know how they really work. I guess what I am getting is this: they work in a strange way, because I would expect the opposite- the WAV format being uncompressed one would take into consideration how loud the sound is while lossless formats would disregards that on behalf of having compressed data. [And yes I know that if I get below a certain level with lowering of the volume in that original WAV, then I will loose some information for ever, regardless of what will become with it later on]

[So it is futile because the same audio in FLAC and alike format can take a different amount of space regardless of the compression level]

The compression level isn't really a level at all, it's just a set of encoding parameters, which can differ between versions. There's no guarantee that the highest level always will give the smallest file size, even if it's most often the case.

Because of this and because the compression level doesn't reflect audio quality in any way, it's not really useful information to have once the encoding is done.

The only reason I can think of for tagging the level would possibly be for debugging reasons, but I haven't heard of any case where the compression level was a problem for a player.

Simply interesting: Total Commander, wlx_AudioTagView lister plugin (by the way: 32 & 64 bits) shows APE files' compression rate. I did not go into its mechanism (tag? any else?).