FLAC files

I was recommended this program for the purpose of converting all my tags. Having read up a bit on tag conversion, I understand that you just need to load up your files and select what tag type you want in the save section and then save and they will all be converted. This works fine but although I read that this program supports FLAC files, it seems that when I do what I've described above and save, nothing changes and they still remain FLAC in the tag section.

Should I be doing something different?

Mp3tag will only write Flac tags to Flac files.
What tags do you want?

ID3v2

Thank you for the quick reply

Why would you want ID3v2 tags in FLAC files? Do you have a particular application that requires it? That would be highly unusual.

It was the format suggested to me, that best works with XBMC which I have on my HTPC

I'd say that's almost certainly mistaken or a misunderstanding. Try FLAC files with their normal FLAC tags (Vorbis Comments).

I'm no expert but what you said seems to be fine. I transfered all the flac files over and they worked fine.

The guy that suggested the tag I mentioned said the following and I think their advice was based on the best tag for XBMC to grab al the metadata and cover art when scanning.

"If you use mp3tag and add all your mp3s into it you will likely notice there is a variety of tag versions being used, ID3v1, ID3v2 (both 2.3 and 2.4) and APE, first thing I recommend using mp3tag to save them all into the same tag format of which I recommend ID3v2.3 UTF-16 which is what I use, and then remove all other types, so the files just contain the ID3v2.3 tag (ID3v2.3 is the best to use as it has support for fields greater than ~60 characters but a warning some very old car stereos may not be able to read anything other than a ID3v1 tag)"

So I don't know really, but my main concern is making sure all the albums display properly. Lastly I notice that a lot of my music shows the ID3v2.3 tag, but some show the following

ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 Lyrics3v2 ID3v2.3)
ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3 APEv2)

AND

Most are showing this ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3)

So entertain the fact that I may need to convert my tags for XBMC, and tell me are all of the above shown in MP3TAG all variations of the ID3v2.3 tag but not a true ID3v2.3 tag.

Sorry for my ignorance, but this is my first time dealing with this stuff

Note that the quote you included is talking about adding ID3v2.x tags to MP3 files (not FLAC). And he is correct in that regard (for my FLAC files, I use FLAC tags and for mp3 files I use ID3v2.3 UTF16. I'd advise you to clean up your mp3 file tags so that they are only ID3v2.3 (and not ID3v1 and Ape as well). You can do this with mp3tag by setting the tag type options for mp3 files to write ID3v2.3 UTF16 only and then use mp3tag to delete the other tag types from your mp3 files. AND NOTE: I'm talking about mp3 files NOT FLAC files.

Yes I understood that he was talking about MP3's but I've had no experience with FLAC files and just assumed it was a higher quality MP3, but I guess there is a clue in the extension that it's by no means a MP3 :rolleyes:

Thank you for the help, it's made life a whole lot easier

Yep, mp3 is a "lossy" file and FLAC is a lossless file. Although most people would be hard pressed to identify a quality mp3 file (of enough bitrate) from a FLAC in a blind test. Back to tags, you should be able to include the same metadata in tags for the player for FLAC (flac tags) and tags for mp3 files (ID3v2.3) even though the tags are different format. cheers....

Ok just a couple of questions because I think I'm selecting the wrong things when converting the tags.

When converted to ID3v2.3 should that be the only thing in the tag field, no brackets followed by more info?

What should I have selected to write/covert ID3v2.3 tags? Is it right that when I have selected the relevant tick boxes in the options that I just select save to convert them?

Here is what I have selected in the mpeg settings

Read ID3v1 ID3v2 APE

Write ID3v2 and ID3v2.3 UTF-16

Remove ID3v1 APE

In the APE section I have

Read ID3v1 APE

Write none selected

Remove ID3v1 APE

I've made a bit of a pigs ear of it, but here is how it looks. I seem to have deleted parts of one compilation.

see links

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/1nic.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/7bjh.png/

these are correct settings.

1. load up files, select, then hit the SAVE button (first item in top menu).

2. Then hit the big red X (2nd from left in top menu). The causes mp3tag to delete the unwanted tags. With your settings it will leave you with only ID3v2.3 tags in your mp3 files. This seems odd (like you are deleting the file, but you're not...only deleting the unwanted tags

3. In the tag column, you'll see:

ID3v2.3 (ID3v2.3)

This is showing that it is reading the ID3v2.3 tags (and that the file only contains ID3v2.3 tags).

Try this with a a file or two first to see that it is working for you. But once comfortable, you can load up thousands of mp3 files, select all, and follow above steps to do all this in one batch.

Wonderful!! :smiley: All working fine. Is there anyway I can get the info back into the files showing no Title , Artist, and Album Artist Info without doing the 44 tracks or so individually? I don't know what I did but it seems the first time I tried sorting out the tags some info got deleted,

Sorry to ask a 100 questions but I'm almost done

hmmm, probably not. Maybe if your file names contain the track info. So for example, if your file NAMES themselves are something like:

01 - Something.mp3

You could use CONVERT > FILENAME to TAG, and use the mask:

%track% - %title%

This would enter 01 in the track number field and "Something" in the track title field. You can play around with the mask a bit and see how it will interpret it. If the artist is in the name, it would be, for example,

01 - Something - The Beatles

then the mask would be

%track% - %title% - %artist%