FLAC Tags

Hey guys!

I know it is an unsuitable thing from me to ask this but - How FLAC tags really works?

The question may be silly but here's why I ask: It's few years since I had ripped my CD to MP3, and I suppose I know almost all about MP3 tag (thanks to people from this forum too) but now I want to rip only to FLAC, and i need some help.

So if you guys can tell me some details regarding FLAC tags i'll appreciate it.
Questions:

1. MP3tag can fully edit FLAC tags (like to mp3 ... ID3v1, ID3v2, and so on ...)
  2. What show boxes should I check in MP3tag Options/Ape, Mpc ....
  3. Any other tips may be veru usefull to me!!

thank you!

1. yes
  2. boxes in the tag options for mp3 are NOT relevant. These are options for mp3 files. For FLAC tags there is no option. All correctly done FLAC files use "Vorbis Comments" tags. And mp3tag will use these only for FLAC (i.e., handles properly automatically).
  3. If you are reripping your files to FLAC, I highly recommend dbpoweramp. Not free, but generally recommended as one of the top secure rippers for windows platform. EAC is the other, but I find it more complicated to setup for new users). dbpa also has ACCURATERIP and excellent metadata sources.

Yes.

There are no settings in Mp3tag for FLAC tags. There is only one type of tag (vorbis comments) to read and write.

Not much. FLAC tags are simple. To get an idea of how files are tagged, it can be helpful to use metaflac to examine the tags of a few FLAC files. Metaflac is a command-line tool that is installed with the FLAC package that you download from SourceForge.

The following will list all metadata in the file:

C:>metaflac --list "D:\Music\FLAC\Rolling Stones\Let It Bleed\Gimme Shelter.flac"

And this will list just the vorbis comments:

C:>metaflac --list --block-type=VORBIS_COMMENT "D:\Music\FLAC\Rolling Stones\Let It Bleed\Gimme Shelter.flac"

Totally agree with this. It's very useful to see exactly what Mp3tag is changing. I created this batch file to do just that, but it only works if metaflac.exe and the batch file are in the same directory as the FLACs. I want to make a shortcut to the batch file on the desktop and be able to just drag and drop a folder full of FLACs on the shortcut, but I'm having trouble with the syntax. I know it's something ridiculously simple. Any ideas? Here's what I have:

@echo off
FOR /R %%F IN (*.flac) DO (metaflac --list --block-type=VORBIS_COMMENT "%%F")
Echo Metaflac routine complete
Pause

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Edit:

@echo off
SET PATH=%~dp0
Pause

helps, but this only works if you drag one of the FLAC files onto the batch file. It does process the whole folder. Can't figure out how to get it to work by dropping a folder, though.

Maybe get inspiration from there ...
Command-line load of multiple directories

DD.20130210.1515.CET

Thanks for the suggestion! However, I still can't figure out how to get the behavior I want from folder dropping. :frowning: I'm afraid I'm not very good with batch scripts, haha! For example, if I have C:\FLACS\Fish (1999) Raingods With Zippos, and I drag-and-drop the folder Fish (1999) Raingods With Zippos on this:

@ECHO OFF
SET PATH=%~dp0
ECHO MetaFLAC routine complete
PAUSE

...not only does it display the tags for the .flac files inside the Fish (1999) Raingods With Zippos folder— it displays the tags for every .flac file in every folder that's in the FLACS folder. This script does work with file dropping, though. If I drag-and-drop 01 - Tumbledown.flac on it, then every .flac file in the Fish (1999) Raingods With Zippos folder gets processed (and only those .flac files), which is the desired behavior. :sorcerer: Unfortunately, this does NOT work when I shortcut the .bat file to the desktop. There it only processes the first .flac file and that's it.
I should be happy with what I have so far, but dammit,
I want this result when I drag-and-drop a folder on a shortcut on the desktop, haha! It's driving me nuts. :w00t:

set metaflac=enter path to metaflac.exe
cd %1
FOR %%F IN (*.flac) DO (%metaflac% --list --block-type=VORBIS_COMMENT "%%F")
Pause
QUOTE (dano @ Feb 11 2013, 13:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
set metaflac=enter path to metaflac.exe
cd %1
FOR %%F IN (*.flac) DO (%metaflac% --list --block-type=VORBIS_COMMENT "%%F")
Pause<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Works with folder dropping :slight_smile: , but not if you shortcut it to the desktop.
Dropping a folder on a metaflac.bat shortcut with this code doesn't work.
Getting closer...

Then place metaflac.bat on the desktop.
Or edit the shortcut properties and leave "Start in" blank.

That did it! I knew it was something simple.
This actually makes my original script work. Thanks so much. :sunglasses:

Personally, I'd create an Explorer context menu item rather than relying on dragging and dropping. Much easier and quicker to use.