Forward slashes as path separator

I'd like to request that the default path separator when making a playlist be changed to a forward slash, or at least give users the capability to change the path separator they want to use. Forward slashes are now the standard and work everywhere, including any Windows OS that uses CMD.exe as the command interpreter. On the other hand, if the playlist exported by Mp3tag were to be used on another OS such as Linux or Mac, there is a good chance it would not work because the backslash is interpreted as part of the filename. Some mp3 players are a bit smarter about interpreting paths, but not all, and VLC is one of the less-smart players in this regard. Thanks!

You want to struggle with the world and want all system to make the same?

No, this is not correct. See following lines.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

F:>md f:/temp/test
Syntaxfehler.

If you speak about a standard of the "Forward Slash", this might be valid for usage on the internet or web related applications, but that's all and nothing more.

With Mp3tag you can prepare your own export or playlist templates.
There are built-in functions ($replace, $regexp) which can replace one character by another character.

If this would not fit to solve your problems, then do the replacement of the backslash by the forward slash using a simple notepad editor.

But do not forget to replace the End-of-Line character also, when you are switching between the systems:
Windows, MSDOS: CR+LF
Apple: CR
UNIX: LF

The standard is to support the diversity.

I recommend using the Notepad++ editor for such tasks, even for codepage conversions and so on.

DD.20110317.1900.CET

It will work for relative paths. I've used playlists with forward slashes in relative paths ever since Windows XP on WMP, Winamp, VLC, and Foobar2000. It only sometimes does not work when you have a drive letter in the path if you happen to be using Windows XP. I had thought that when I said I would be using these playlists across multiple platforms, the fact that I would be using a playlist with relative paths would be obvious. My mistake, sorry.

Why? If it will work in any media player on any platform when the playlist is created, why make anyone edit the playlist by hand? And why should anyone have to use a plugin for something that would work in the base product? Try it for yourself. Make a playlist with relative paths using forward slashes and play it on any media player on any platform. Unless you're using some weird OS or an extremely buggy media player (and I don't know of any with this problem), the playlist will work just fine.

Again, why? The playlist is interpreted by the media player. It generally won't matter unless the media player is extremely buggy. Even WMP will open UNIX-formatted playlists.

As a matter of fact, there is, if an informal one. As it turns out, all the major - and even the minor - media players out there will interpret forward slashes correctly in Windows.