Get tag from filename

My radio station requires the correct tags to display on the listeners player. I can automate the correct file name, but not the correct tags. Sometimes the tags are filled in incorrectly so I need to overwrite them. At the moment I do this manually.

The file will be located typically at c:\radio/artist name\artist name - show name.mp3. This will need to be done on a show by show basis, but every show is contained in it's own folder.

Can you tell me what I need to do to make this work please.

Thanks in advance..

0 Likes

0 Likes

Many thanks for the prompt answer.

Can this be done from the command line as I have batch files to move files around folders and delete old files.

0 Likes

No.
But you can

with MP3tag.

0 Likes

Hmm - I was hoping that after much searching, there was a solution that could be automated; at [time]+ [day] write tags from filename.

As mp3tag seems not to be able to do that, I guess I will need to keep looking.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions.

0 Likes

If you really only need some very basic id3 tags like artist or title then you may have a look for a command line tool like id3mtag or id3v2. They should both work with your batch files.

0 Likes

Many thanks, it looks like id3mtag might do what I need but it might be a silly question, but could anyone help me with getting it to work please.

I'm not a coder I'm afraid.

0 Likes

If you are not a "coder" then I do not understand why you refuse MP3tag with its functions offered by a graphical user interface.
But if you want to get better help, you would have to be a lot less vague, though, about what you want to do.
And less vague means: telling us the exact source data, and show us that you want to achieve.

0 Likes

I run a radio station which is highly automated and I want to further automate the tagging of the shows.

To explain further;
My media consists of pre-recorded shows either uploaded by artists, or downloaded from ftp by a programme called 'BestSync'.

Most of the artists are great, they name and tag their shows fine, however some shows are supplied either by the artist management or by a syndication company, and it's impossible to get them to either properly name or tag theirs shows.

BestSync will rename the files but my playout system uses tags to display show information. At the present time I manually tag 'problem' shows, which is time consuming, and sometimes an un-edited show plays, which is not good.

I have batch files which move or delete old shows when new ones are uploaded or downloaded which also helps.

What I would like to do is when a show is downloaded, or moved folder, to add to my existing batch file a command which will insert the artist and title from the filename.

The convention for the file name is 'Artist Name @artisttwitter - Show Name Episode xxx' (.mp3)

Any help would be much appreciated..

0 Likes

You can easily import the data parts from the filename using an action or the Convert>Filename-Tag function:
Source: %_filename%
Target: %artist% @%dummy% - %title%
(%dummy% leaves out this part)
or if the artist name should also include the twitter address:
Target: %artist% - %title%

If you want to move the files to a "new" folder, then use an action of the type "Format value" for _FILENAME or the function Convert>Tag-Filename
Format string: k:\new\%_filename%
where k:\new\ has to be replaced with the absolute target path in your environment.

The convert functions have the advantage that you have a preview there. But once you feel confident that it works, you can use the actions and group them to action groups so that you can run them as something similar to a batch job. The only difference: you have to load the files once into MP3tag and start the action there.

0 Likes

Many thanks for the explanation.

The only problem is that I need to automate the process so that it takes place without my intervention at the same time as it is processed by either a batch file or the actions of BestSync.

If I have to manually process the action there is little benefit to me I'm afraid, that's why id3mtag would seem to be more promising, if anyone could help me with that please.

0 Likes