Grouping in export

Hi,
could you add "GROUP BY" to export configuration? I.e., when sorting on Artist field, mp3tag could use 'groupfooter' and 'groupheader' on every change in value in Artist.
In this way, one can make HTML index page in form, e.g.
ExportHeader:

GroupHeader:
  • Artist 1

• GroupHeader:
  • Artist 2

• ExportFooter:

I'll think about this! Thanks for your suggestion.

Best regards,
~ Florian

Hi pkar,

please have a look at the latest Development Build. I've specified a new export configuration format, which adds the possibility of grouping.

Please also have a look at html_newexport for an example of the new syntax.

Best regards,
~ Florian

I've specified a new export configuration format, which adds the possibility of grouping.
Please also have a look at (..) for an example of the new syntax.

Thanks.
First, I speak (write?) as computer languages' theoretician - 'loop' command iterates throu e.g. albums, but inner loop uses outer loop implicity - should explicity.
I must ask, also, why "loop..loopend" and not "for..next"? I know, every programming language has own syntax, but... :slight_smile:
And last, why loop("%artist"), not loop(%artist)? Why function(string_expression), not function(expression)?

You convert GROUPBY problem into much broader problem - gave much powerfull export syntax. Good. For many people (e.g. you, me), good. But for most people - too powerful, too complicated, and - unusable (I wonder every time I meet with people who dont know programming etc., but such persons exist).
So, If you could add much simpler "GROUP" (for computer newbies) and 'dedicate' new export format for gurus, your program will be much usefull for non-programmers world.

You can also use $loop(field) without the qoutes and the percent sign and it should work.

I think the idea behind the $loop-thing is very easy to understand (even for non-programmers). And there is still the forum for asking questions and - for the traditionals - the old export.

~ Florian