Hashing a string

I'm trying to create a unique ID for each album mainly so that I can use it for MinimServer but also for other purposes like calculating ReplayGain tags.

The reason I need this is because of the way I tag my files e.g.
ALBUM,RELEASE
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band,Super Deluxe Edition
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band,Mono Remaster
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band,Stereo Remaster

The starting point for the unique string would be of the form %albumartist%%album%%release%%boxtitle%, but that could be quite large so what I'd like to do is to generate an MD5 from it and store that instead. If that's not possible I can apply various string conversions to reduce it further but thought I'd check first.

Thanks

You can create an md5 checksum in an export.
You then would have to import that string into a suitable field.
See e.g. the help on exports:
http://help.mp3tag.de/options_export.html
Look for "md5"

I'm not looking to hash the file, I'm looking to create a hash of a string (made up of %albumartist%%album%%release%%boxtitle%), ideally from within an Action.

There is no preset function to get a hash value from a user-defined string in an action.
And if you do not find a special function in MP3tag, perhaps another program has it and you could feed that program with (yet again) an export script.
In this case you would export

and the filename
import that data into the external program, add the hash value as an additional field and then re-import the data into the tags with the help of MP3tag.