How do I get the original release date from Discogs or MusicBrainz?

I'm sure I'm being dumb but I can't see how to find the original release date when using Tag Sources>Discogs.

All that shows up are [these fields]
grafik

The field I want is Original Release Time, or %origyear% in Mp3tag.

(I've already added a new %origyear% column to Mp3tag.)

I'm fairly sure it's possible because this MediaMonkey script can apparently retrieve that field, as shown here:

Can you help me out please?

Could you please show us a release URL for Discogs or MusicBrainz where this information is available?

No, I don't think I can!

(I mean, I can't see the original 1987 release date mentioned on this 2022 release's page.)

I don't know where the MediaMonkey script gets its data from but it's clearly stated that it can retrieve the "First release date of album."

And plenty of posts seem to imply that people are getting this field from Discogs ... it's just that none of them say how.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you see what I mean?

Yes, I see what you mean.

According to the source code of DiscogsAutoTagWeb.vbs it looks at the master release for an "OriginalDate".
For your example:

Unfortunately, I don't know, how this would work from a Websource-Script in Mp3tag.

You can check the script by yourself:
Download the MMIP-Script from here, unzip it and have a look into the file DiscogsAutoTagWeb.vbs

Yes, I see there are 67 mentions of OriginalDate in that vbs file. But it's all way over my head.

I really thought other people were getting the original release date from Discogs, whether using Mp3tag or not - and not just MM4 users (the script hasn't yet been made MM5-compatible).

Not sure what I can do next. My searching is not coming up with anything.

Thanks again.

What you could try is to take a look at MusicBrainz Picard.

Maybe you can get this original release date with the help of it (at least if it is available at MusicBrainz. MB Picard doesn't get data from other sources AFAIK).

Thant's looking good. :+1: