How to copy album title preceding a colon into album artist?

Hi,

I have nearly a thousand classical music album titles which all have the composer, or performer, included at the beginning of each album title, and followed by a colon.

e.g. Bach JS: The Goldberg Variations; Glenn Gould

or

e.g John Williams: El Diablo Suelto

Does anyone know if there is a quick work around, using regular expressions, for copying the information preceding the colon in the album title field, and pasting it into the album artist field?

I would welcome any ideas or assistance in achieving in what would otherwise be a laborious task.

Regards.

Is that a semicolon before "Glenn Gould?"

This can be done without RegEx with the Guess Values action:

Action type: Guess values
Source format: %album%
Guessing pattern: %albumartist%: %album%; %artist%

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that is a semi-colon after Glenn Gould, and I should not have included that as an example, as it probably confused the issue. I just want to focus on the information preceding the colon in the album title, as that is where my dilemma is.

I did try your work around, but unfortunately first time around it didn't work using the full formula provided. However, I left out "; %artist%" and repeated the action, and this time it put the information exactly into the album artist field. Unfortunately, it was a cut and past action, whereas I would like a copy and paste action, thereby leaving the composer/performer information still in the album field as well as in the album artist field. Would that still be possible using the Guess values field?

Regards

Sure, it can be done. It wasn't clear that you wanted the ALBUM field to remain intact. Glenn Gould was TMI to make it clear.

Action type: Guess values
Source format: %album%
Guessing pattern: %albumartist%: %dummy%

Your solution worked exactly as you said it would. I appreciate your help and thanks for being patient with me!

Regards