How to display total number of artists beginning with a certain letter.

Hello. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to request a search that will enable me to get a list of artists beginning with a certain letter of the alphabet, (showing the name once only) and with a total number of entries.

At the moment I am filtering with artist IS *, and get a list, but it shows titles and multiple artist entries, and the totals of those titles rather than the artists.

Thanks to anyone who can help - my eyes won't let me count the long lists manually from the screen!

Clive.

Filter: ARTIST MATCHES "^a" ... all names with starting lower or upper case A ARTIST MATCHES "(?-i)^a" ... all names with starting lower case A ARTIST MATCHES "(?-i)^A" ... all names with starting upper case A "$left(%ARTIST%,1)" IS "a" ... all names with starting lower or upper case A

DD.20150802.1437.CEST, DD.20150802.1911.CEST

If there is a multi-value ARTIST tag-field, ... e. g. with the content 'NIN\\\\ABC' ... then you can suppress or identify the ARTIST value this way ... "$meta(ARTIST,0)" MATCHES "^a" ... or ... "$meta(ARTIST,1)" MATCHES "^a"

DD.20150804.1826.CEST

Thankyou for your quick reply!!

Thanks again for your efforts which are appreciated.

What I am trying to achieve is a list of artists within my music folder, but mentioning them once only - so I end up with an alphabetical inventory of artists whose music is in my collection.

I don't know if this is possible?

Thanks again.

It will be a little tricky to get that only in MP3tag.

A better approach would be to use an export with a statements like this:

$filename(csv,utf-16)Artist
$loop(%artist%,1)%artist% $loopend()

the ,1) grants that every ARTIST is shown only once.
You get a text file in the end.

Here is an export script, maybe not perfect yet, just for playing with ...

1: $filename($getEnv('USERPROFILE')'\Desktop\Mp3tag.Report.txt',UTF-8)

2: $loop(%ARTIST%,1)$num(%_counter%,3)': '$if(%ARTIST%,$meta_sep(ARTIST,$char(13)$char(10)$repeat($char(32),5)),)
3: $loopend()

DD.20150804.2140.CEST

YES!! With a bit of playing about We got there.

Thanks again!!