how to insert text in populated field

Trying to insert text in a populated field and it overwrites everything.

In the performance field when i try to insert a phrase it overwrites the current tag data.

For example

Performers (Field) shows as this:

Lalo Schifrin - Piano, Keyboards, Arranger, Conductor
Jon Faddis - Trumpet
Wayne Andre, Billy Campbell, Barry Rogers - Trombone
Dave Taylor - Bass Trombone

I want to insert this at the top of the tag data

Lalo Schifrin Primary Artist

Lalo Schifrin - Piano, Keyboards, Arranger, Conductor
Jon Faddis - Trumpet
Wayne Andre, Billy Campbell, Barry Rogers - Trombone
Dave Taylor - Bass Trombone

Can this be done... so far, using Format value, it inputs Lalo Schifrin Primary Artist but wipes the tag.

Thanks

In which context do you use this function?

Anyway: as you use a "Format value" action and want to keep the previous data, enter as format string the field name plus the new data:
Field: ARTIST
Format String
Lalo Schifrin %artist%

1. Thanks for thequick response.

That's the format I'm currently using... wanted to get a different perspective. With the format suggested it only works if you're doing tagging the same Artist / Album?

I'm trying to do a batch process in updating my tags.

For example, if I want to update all my tags with Technical Credits. (Because the name stays the same Technical Credits) I can insert this in all of my files. It simply inserts it at the top of the data and doesn't delete anything.

What I was hoping to create was an action along these lines.

Performers: %Artist% - Primary Artist. This works; however, it deletes everything in the tag

Again trying to do a batch process, but maintain current data. I don't think it can work but I wanted another point of view.

Thanks for your input

Yes, but where?

As you still keep it a secret where you get the new data from, I have to use a constant (= "Lalo Schifrin") and cannot offer a variable (e.g. %album%)

What was in the field before?
is

a multi-value-field or have you inserted line-breaks?
If you want to insert something into something else, then you would have to find the position for the new data in that string with one of the string functions, I would guess.
So what remains is for you to clearify the case a little more.

I'll take it from the top and start over to explain my situation... I have hundreds of Albums I'm using the standard field ( Artist / Album / Performers ) all populated from Discogs. I want to insert the artist field ( whomever, Michael Jackson, Lalo Schifrin, DexterGordon, etc.) into the top of the performers field, which is already tagged..

Keep in mind the performers field currently has meta-tag downloaded from Discog....which looks like so:

Performers:

Lee Morgan : Trumpet
McCoy Tyner : Piano
Paul Chambers : Drums
Joe Chambers : Drums

Performers: 

Dexter Gordon : Sax (Tenor)
Sonny Clark : Piano
Billy Higgins : Drums
Butch Warren : Bass 

Currently, to get the results i would like... I have to cut / copy the example above.... Run the action

Format Value Performers: %artist% - Primary Artist

And Then Paste the meta back into the field.

Resulting in:

Performers:

<b>Lee Morgan   - Primary Artist</b>

Lee Morgan : Trumpet
McCoy Tyner : Piano
Paul Chambers : Drums
Joe Chambers : Drums

Performers: 

<b>Dexter Gordon - Primary Artist</b>

Dexter Gordon : Sax (Tenor)
Sonny Clark : Piano
Billy Higgins : Drums
Butch Warren : Bass 

If you do not copy the metadata first, and just run the action (Format Value Performers: %artist% - Primary Artist) ... It wipes the metadata out and insert the action...as such...

<b>Dexter Gordon - Primary Artist</b>

I'm trying to do several albums at once instead of individuals. That's as clear as I can make.. there's no line breaks / multi value field, which seems like it would solve the problem... how can i configure that...

If you want to add another field to a field, you say it is ARTIST added to PERFORMERS (user-defined?) then use an action of the type "Format value" for PERFORMERS
Make the format string look like this:
%artist% - Primary Artist %performers%
Run this only once per file as otherwise you get the primary artist more than once.
Also this format string does not cater for any line breaks.