Huge memory leak in v3.04

Starting from 3.03e (unfortunately, it moved to 3.04), a memory leak started to appear when opening any song or album. Win 7 x64; I have 32Gb RAM and a few seconds after opening a song or album, mp3tag starts consuming 1.5 GB instead of the usual 5-7Mb, as in 3.03.

Okay, that's really unfortunate — especially after having posted the update already through all my available channels. It's the purpose of beta versions to identify such issues beforehand.

However, I'm not sure how to trigger this memory leak. Does it happen with all file types or only with specific ones? Do you have a test file that shows this behavior?

I did not have an account on this forum until today, I sincerely believed that the bug is more or less massive and one of the users will notice =(
A few details that I noted about this leak: mp3 and flac seems to be the most affected (I'll attach mediainfo information on one such file just in case):
General
Complete name : F:\NEW FOLDER\02 - Charting The Single.mp3
Format : MPEG Audio
File size : 9.07 MiB
Duration : 4 min 48 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 264 kb/s
Album : B'Sides Themselves
Track name : Charting The Single
Track name/Position : 2
Track name/Total : 9
Performer : Marillion
Genre : Progressive Rock
Recorded date : 1988
Writing library : LAME3.99r

Audio
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Format settings : Joint stereo
Duration : 4 min 48 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 264 kb/s
Minimum bit rate : 32.0 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 38.281 FPS (1152 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 9.06 MiB (100%)
Writing library : LAME3.99r
Encoding settings : -m j -V 0 -q 0 -lowpass 22.1 --vbr-new -b 32

1.5 GB is consumed when selecting a list of about a dozen mp3-songs (an average album). When you select a single song, the leak is less, about 40 MB.

1 Like

Okay, I'll look into it and see what I can find.

Thanks for reporting and bringing this to my attention!

1 Like

That's strange. I can select 11'780 mp3 songs in Mp3tag v3.04 and the windows 10 task manager reports 153MB memory usage for Mp3tag.
Hint: The embedded pictures in my mp3 have mostly a size of 400x400 pixels.
And I have Tools -> Options -> Library ENabled.

1 Like

I agree, it's weird. But up to 3.03d, the leak was not observed, and since 3.03e it is. I also have it in files without a built-in cover. I haven't changed anything in mp3tag settings for several years, the library is disabled. I note that this started in the build, where optimizations for reading mp3 files are indicated, most likely this is somehow related. Maybe it's something specific to Win 7, who knows.

I am not experiencing this either, with a library of 23k+ tracks open in mp3tag and all selected, I am only using about 133Mb of memory. Selecting individual tracks and moving up or down the list doesn't change this by much.

Win 10 64
mp3tag v3.04

1 Like

Are you on Windows 7 or 10?

Meant to include that, and edited my post to show current mp3 tag build (3.04) and windows (10 64)

1 Like

Unfortunately, I cannot test on Win 10, but I will try to test tomorrow on another system with Win 7.

I'll spin up a virtual machine with Windows 7 and see for myself. Getting there ... :sweat_smile:

I've fixed this with Mp3tag v3.04a.

Many thanks for reporting this issue and to all who have participated in shedding some light into this :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.