ID3v1 and ID3v2.x tags in same file?

I think I have found a problem with MP3Tag. I've been using it for quite a while and I love it, but quite often I thought the tags in the files were bad.

Now I think it might be this instead.

I just downloaded some files with both ID3v1 and ID3v2.x tags in them. It would appear that MP3Tag ignores the ID3V2.x tags if there are ID3v1 tags - even if I tell it NOT to read the ID3v1 tags by unchecking the box for ID3v1 tags in the options!

Can anyone confirm that this is happening?

No.

Mp3tag displays the ID3v2 tag instead of the ID3v1 tag if there are both tag types in the file.

Cheers,
Florian

That is not what I am seeing. When I have an MP3 with both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags in it, I only see the ID3v1 tags in MP3tag.

I think this is a bug but I am looking for confimation. If you download the MP3s on this page: [Moderation: removed URL] and look at them in MP3tag, you only see the ID3v1 tags. But if you open them in iTunes or some other MP3 tag editors, then you can view both sets of tags.

So the question I have is, are the ID3v2 tags malformed so that MP3tag doesn't recognize them - and if so, why does iTunes see them - or is there something wrong with MP3tag? In either case, I think MP3tag needs a fix to display them.

Mp3tag skips the ID3v2 tag because it contains an invalid TCON frame (incorrect frame length).

No, I don't think so.

Kind regards,
Florian

So it is not your opinion that MP3Tag should help the user by reading in all the ID3v2 tag information it can?

You would rather have reduced functionality and display the 30 character limited ID3v1 tags?

Sorry, I don't agree. I really like MP3Tag, but a lot of the mp3s that I come across apparently have malformed ID3v2 tags and I'd rather use a program that helped me fix the bad tags instead of throwing away the data that is useful.

So I guess I'll have to stop using MP3Tag and find something else. Which is a shame, because I really like MP3tag.