I have a whole bunch of mpc (musepack) files which I encoded before having knowledge of or access to such great facilities as freedb and audiograbber. So I entered all the information manually (artist, title, etc). I entered the bare minimum of information, and know that there are a few typos in several tags.
I was pleased to find that mp3tag seemed to have a feature to import tag information based on filename. However, it seems that you need files for all the tracks on an album, and in the right order. I rarely rip files for all tracks on an album, just the ones I like most.
Is it possible to import tag information based on only some tracks in an album?
All my mpc files have at least the artist name, album name, track name, and track number, but it would be good to be able to fill in the missing tag information and overwrite my existing information with more "reliable" information (fewer typos!).
I should have thought it is possible for what I have, since the utility would have some or all of the following information for each track to base its decision on:
- Artist name, both in folder name (Artist > Album) and in existing manually-entered tag information
- Album name, both in folder name (Artist > Album) and in existing manually-entered tag information
- Track name, both in existing tag information and file name (e.g. "02 -- Single Handed Sailor")
- Track number, both in existing tag information and file name (e.g. "02 -- Single Handed Sailor")
- Year, perhaps, in existing tag information
Based on this information, I think it should be possible to track down the exact album from freedb.
Can mp3tag do this? Was I doing something wrong? Or is there something else that does this?