Importing track numbers from text file

I love Mp3tag! Its easy and flexible, and has only gotten better over time.

I've run into a need that I can't seem to figure out how to solve though.

I've got several hundred mp3 files that are animal vocalizations (birds). I can't get track numbers from the source for two reasons. First, the CD from which they came contained multiple birds per track, and these have been edited so that each mp3 has one bird. Second, taxonomy changes over time, so the track numbers need to be different anyway to reflect this order.

Now, I can easily create a text file (from Excel) that has the right track order, by importing the taxonomy from the web and then creating a numbered column with the proper order, like so:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck 1
Fulvous Whistling-Duck 2
Snowy Owl 47
etc

But the problem is that I don't know how to import these track numbers to the file. My files are unordered.

I've tried using the Text file - Tag functionality, and I've searched through the documentation and the forums.

What I'm needing is the ability to match the filename with part of the text file, and then add the track number if they match. Something like this:

For each 'line in txt file'
  IF 'filename(without extension)' == 'position1 in txt file'
    set 'tracknumber' = 'position2 in txt file'
  End if

Is this possible? Can anyone shed some light on how to do it? Thanks.

If you can make Excel produce your text file with filename extensions and a delimiter then it works:
Text file:
Snowy Owl.mp3 *47
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck.mp3 *2

Import format string:
%_filename_ext% *%track%

Thanks! I should have realized this, but my problem was that I was not including the file extension ('.mp3') in my text file when trying to import the tag numbers.