Incremental refresh file view

As a newbie to re-tagging using mp3tag in order to format my ripped classical CDs from BBC Music magazine on a VortexBox device under Linux for use on my Sonos system, I find the loading of the entire folder of files on opening the program and on pressing the refresh button each time I rip a CD, tedious in the extreme.

It would appear from a search of the forums that an incremental refresh is not a feature and not likely to be incorporated. How do others tackle this problem, as I have many hundreds possibly thousands of CDs with eventually tens of thousands of tracks to load each time I use the program.

I have not been able to split the VortexBox flac folder into sub folders, as Windows will not allow me to move files stored on the VortexBox, also I do not know if the Sonos system will see these sub-folders, if I could populate them, as "shares". I suppose the answer may be to learn Linux and split up my folders that way, but I have no intention of becoming a programmer!

An incremental refresh would be a helpful addition to mp3tag.

You need to figure this out. You do not need to be a programmer to do it. Try the Vortex forums for guidance. There should only be a need for one share on the server, at or above the topmost folder level. Mp3tag, BTW, can help you reorganize your library's directory structure, by creating subfolders and moving files. See the Help and the FAQs on this site.

I know that some people routinely load their entire music library in Mp3tag, but I very rarely need to do that. Like you say, it's very tedious. When you get your library organized properly, you'll typically only load just a single CD, album or work, or else a single artist's albums, a composer's works, etc.

[quote name='JJ Johnson' post='56640']
You need to figure this out. You do not need to be a programmer to do it. Try the Vortex forums for guidance. There should only be a need for one share on the server, at or above the topmost folder level. Mp3tag, BTW, can help you reorganize your library's directory structure, by creating subfolders and moving files. See the Help and the FAQs on this site.

Thanks for your response - all very well saying I need to figure this out! The VortexBox forum users all advise the use of Linux commands to directly address the directories on the VortexBox device.

I used this forum as suggested, to add a request for future consideration, ie to set up within mp3tag the incremental loading of files to load only those that have changed or are new since the last session. Perhaps it is not possible, or it would already have been done?

I will however keep searching on these forums to see how I can use mp3tag to better organise the "library" as constructed by the VortexBox device.

Do you have a link to a VortexBox forum discussion that you've started on this subject?

Found this:

"Note: You will notice there is a music folder under \\vortexbox this is the same as files -> music but it’s Read-Only. Point your player to \\vortexbox\music\flac but add your music to \\vortexbox\files\music\flac This may seen a little confusing but it helps protect your music from being accidently changed by your player."

Sounds like you may be browsing the \\vortexbox\music\ share, which is read-only, so that's why you wouldn't be able to move files or create directories.

Use the share named \\vortexbox\files, which is both read & write.

Yes I am using the \files\music\flac sub-directory to import the tags into mp3tag. The big batch of BBC Music magazine CDs (from no 1 to date) which I am ripping have very poor tags. Not all files will import and I am now finding parts of ripped CDs are importing in editable form and other parts not! My PC OS is Windows XP Pro and the VortexBox is Linux. The only file view I get is in My Network Places and I can edit some file names directly there, but not delete files or add sub-directories. From the VortexBox forum it appears that to do this one has to access the VortexBox using Linux commands - which I have no intention of attempting. Perhaps I should have bitten the bullet and bought a RipNAS which uses Windows based software!

However before I annoy people any longer I realise this is not the forum to be pursuing this topic as my original post was intended to be feedback re suggesting an incremental load of only changed or new tags into mp3tag for editing.