Invalid characters allowed in Tag and Filename


#1

Me again, but with a real problem.

I have just purchased MusicMatch, after quite happily using WMP, needed a change...and have been struggling to get my track listings up to date.

I have finally found two albums that cause a real problem with MM in that FreeDB returns the data, MP3Tags it, and the $validate allows it to be used in Tag->Filename.

The specific albums are DiscID: 22120513 and 530f7d15

You will notice that the pronker who uploaded the tags did it with superscripted O's in the No (as in #).

As far as I am aware this is not quite a valid character in file names - I could be wrong - but it stops MusicMatch from recognising files dead...if this is a problem with MM then please advise by way of return so I can complain to them.

regards
Sean


#2

Can you please tell be the freedb category of the albums?

Best regards,
~ Florian


#3

The genre (category) is X-Mas

The albums are

The All Time Greatest Christmas Songs (CD n° 1)
The All Time Greatest Christmas Songs (CD n° 2)

regards
Sean


#4

The ° character is perfectly valid for file/directory names in Windows. Just remove them from the directory name or request a bugfix from MM.

Best regards,
~ Florian


#5

I have this EXACT problem, however I've found that mp3tag is adding the extended character to the artist and song tags. Even if you simply retag the songs manually. I was puzzled why some of my mp3s weren't appearing in Musicmatch when they have in the past, and I realized it was only the ones that I retagged with mp3tag that were missing.

The character is a letter "Y" with two dots above it. I don't know if it will appear in this forum or not, but here's the character that it adds: ÿ

Scott


#6

Seems like MusicMatch doesn't like ID3v2 tags stored in Unicode. Just enable Always write ISO-8859-1 instead of UTF-16 at Options > Tags > Mpeg and read the Important changes help topic next time.

Best regards,
~ Florian


#7

Thanks!

I did read the important changes before posting, but I know very little about unicode and I didn't think it applied. I understood it as being able to support extended characters when adding them to the tag, which I didn't do. So I was a little puzzled where the character came from on its own.

Thanks again,

Scott