is it possible to import tag items from an excel file

i want to import tag items from an excel file and it should appear in TITLE field in MP3tag.

. is it possible?

The excel-file-format is not supported directly. But if you save the excel file as csv then it should work.
Use the function Convert>Textfile-Tag.
You have to enter a description of the fields. All of them.
Your excel file should contain the TITLE and the FILENAME. Or the sequence and amount of data in the excel file has to match exactly the sequence of files that you selected in MP3tag. Then you can specify only the TITLE.
If you have more data in the excel file then use %dummy% to skip this column.

thanks for the suggestion. have a nice day

Hi.

I actually do exports and imports to and from Excel, using Mp3Tag, but I use another strategy.

I always copy the contents from Excel directly into a plain text file. I save it, and then I use that file to import using Mp3Tag.
You only have to know a few things:
Excel separates each column with a Tab character (ASCII 9).
So, if you want to match it using Regular Expressions, you have to use:
\t (backslash + t)
If you want to Export a Tab character from Mp3Tag Export Commands, use the function: $char(9)

1. Now the tricky part: Excel only puts a Tab before a column that has a value!
    So, if the Last (or n last) column(s) is empty, than it will not put a tab, which will make things harder for an import Action.

Therefore, I always make sure that the last column that I export from Excel, is a column that has always a value in each line (as if it was a database record). That way you will be safe, because even if there are empty columns in the middle, excel will export the tab characters correctly. :wink:

If you have this in mind, you can do imports/exports very easily and reliably to and from Excel.
And since it's all plain text, you are not dependent on Excel past or future file formats, which is another big advantage. In fact, using this strategy, you can even use the same Mp3Tag Actions with different spreadsheet programs (e.g. OpenOffice, etc).
I do some of my most important Exports/imports using this strategy without any problems.

Hope that helped. :slight_smile:

According to official MS support http://support.microsoft.com/kb/77295 it would be enough the very bottom-right cell is not null (e.g. Space character). :wink:

Hi,
your idea sounds good.
Unfortunately I try and it does not work as hoped.
Is it possible for you to upload or make a link with an small example txt file?
I think only 2 or 3 songs are enough to test and see my mistake.

That would be fantastic :rolleyes:

For the import you have to specify the fields, their sequence and the separator. This string has to represent the data structure absolutely accurately.
So, it would be easier if you told us what string you use for import and show us the first line of the data field.
A direct import from excel files is not possible, you have to use csv (or some similar text file output).

I understand your request, that you need some guiding and assistance for importing text data from a text file, which has data lines with the TAB character as the field separator character.

A simple test can help to understand, why the TAB character is not the very best applicable character when working with Mp3tag.

You can create your own test text import file, using the Windows Notepad editor.
Step1: Open Notepad, then type ...
1[Tab]2[Tab]3[Enter]4[Tab]5[Tab]6[Enter]7[Tab]8[Tab]9[Enter]
... then save these just created three lines into text file with a name of your wish.

Step2: In Mp3tag select three dummy media test files.

Step3: Use the previously created text file as input for ...
Mp3tagConverter "Textfile-Tag" ...

Formatstring: %F1%%F2%%F3%
<!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->^    ^<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->here here insert tab character<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#dd0000--><span style="color:#dd0000"><!--/coloro-->[<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->Alt+009<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--coloro:#dd0000--><span style="color:#dd0000"><!--/coloro-->]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
or insert a tab character from the clipboard

The converter should create tag-fields F1, F2, F3 within the dummy media test files.

File 1:

F1=1
F2=2
F3=3

File 2:
F1=4
F2=5
F3=6

File 3:
F1=7
F2=8
F3=9

Step4: Use dialog "Extended tags..." to check the tag-fields and their content, ...
which must be the data from the test text file.

You should have recognized, that the data import works, even when the data separator is the tab character.
But applying this procedure each time, with the tab character as separator, is not so useful in practice.

Better you apply some other separator character or string, which is unique within the import text file.
This will make the import process to be better automated.
Follow the convention of CSV Comma Separated Values or SSV Semicolon Separated Values or whatever own made convention you want.
Mp3tag supports what you dictate.

DD.20150308.1449.CET, DD.20150308.1955.CET

:frowning:
I started new and did:

Step1: Open Notepad, then type ...
1[Tab]2[Tab]3[Enter]4[Tab]5[Tab]6[Enter]7[Tab]8[Tab]9[Enter]
... then save these three lines into text file with a name of your wish.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
test1artist - test1album - title1 - 1 - 2001 - genre1 - comment1
artist2 - album2 - title2 - 2 - 2002 - genre2 - comment2
artist3 - album3 - title3 - 3 - 200 - genre3 - comment3
(I don't know where to put %album%.. variables if necessary)

Step2: In Mp3tag select three dummy media test files. Yes

Mp3tag convert "Textfile-Tag" ...
Formatstring:
%F1% %F2% %F3%

^      ^
here   here insert tab character [Alt+009]
or insert a tab character from the clipboard

This should create tag-fields F1, F2 F3 within the dummy media test files.

But still not the results I like to see in the preview:
"Z:\Bildablage\2015_01\Sätze\test.mp3" ->

"Z:\Bildablage\2015_01\Sätze\test2.mp3" ->

"Z:\Bildablage\2015_01\Sätze\test3.mp3" ->

Cannot parse line 1.
Cannot parse line 2.
Cannot parse line 3.
Cannot parse line 4.

I am not very clever in this mp3tag yet, but I know to use Excel very well (including special details strings, etc.)
Therefore it will help, if I have any CSV or TXT-file to compare.
Here I attached my last txt file.

mp3tag.txt (239 Bytes)

The problem is this:
The first and second line have to be ommitted. The text file must have only real records.
The separator between the fields of the records is not the tab character but " - ". So, Mp3tag is still waiting for the first tab character ;-).
The records should look like this:
artist2album2title222002genre2comment2

the in this description stands for char(9).

As it is fairly tricky to enter the in an input field, it may be easier to use a csv plus " to rule out any hickups due to a ; in a field:
"artist2";"album2";"title2";"2";"2002";"genre2";"comment2"

You were not told to do so, you should have followed the instructions for the test setup.

This one line does not look like the expected three lines, maybe you did not put the data into the text file as you have been told to do so.
The three lines within the test file should look like ...
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
... having tab characters between the numbers.

I've attached a ready made test file ...
20150308.Testfile.with.tab.txt (21 Bytes)
DD.20150308.1715.CET

20150308.Testfile.with.tab.txt (21 Bytes)

Thank you and sorry again.
I tested and tested...failed :frowning:
I am more confused than before, but still motivated :slight_smile:

Some tricks I understand and some not.
I still like to know, how I can transfer many different "title" names in many mp3 files, using Excel / CSV or a txt file. Therefore I made 3 test.mp3 files and made all fields empty.

I think, if it is only title or more (Album, Year, etc), it doesn't matter - the way to do is always the same (right?).

The procedure seems to be more complicated than I expected.
Till now, I only understand sequences, but I hope, with your help, to understand the complete process.
Are there any files (e.g. CSV) on this forum to test for this?

Thank you again for your patient.

Regarding the test example from above there ...
is it possible to import tag items from an excel file
... when following the test instructions, step by step, someone cannot fail.
It is a simple test case, reduced to the smallest facts for understanding.

If your test have failed, then this might be the result of the poor applicability of the TAB character as the separator character for importing text data, regarding Mp3tag, what hereby has been proved by you.

Therefore you should try another experiment using a different separator scheme, for example the SSV Semicolon Separated Values.

Step 1: Create a test SSV text file with three lines of text data.
For example ... following this SSV line format ...
"%ARTIST%";"%ALBUM%";"%TITLE%";"%TRACK%"
so write ...
"Artist 1";"Album A";"Title x";"9"
"Artist 2";"Album C";"Title y";"8"
"Artist 3";"Album B";"Title z";"7"

Store the file to your desktop or whatever place you want, ...
with a name of your wish, for example ...
MySSVTestData.txt

Step2: In Mp3tag select three dummy media test files.

Mp3tag Converter "Textfile-Tag" ...
Formatstring:
"%ARTIST%";"%ALBUM%";"%TITLE%";"%TRACK%"

The converter should create tag-fields ARTIST, ALBUM, TITLE, TRACK within the dummy media test files.
File 1:
ALBUM=Album A
ARTIST=Artist 1
TITLE=Title x
TRACK=9

File 2:
ALBUM=Album C
ARTIST=Artist 2
TITLE=Title y
TRACK=8

File 3:
ALBUM=Album B
ARTIST=Artist 3
TITLE=Title z
TRACK=7

Step4: Use dialog "Extended tags..." to check the tag-fields and their content, ...
which must be the data from the test text file.

Ready.

I've attached a ready made test file ...
20150309.Testfile.SSV.data.txt (108 Bytes)

DD.20150309.1020.CET

20150309.Testfile.SSV.data.txt (108 Bytes)

@DetlevD
Thank you very much!!! It works!!!!!!!!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: